Key lime pie is the perfect dessert to enjoy during summer. The key lime gives the pie this refreshing, zesty taste perfect for the summer beach or a party by the pool. Plus, the fact that it’s so easy to make and literally takes no time or effort. With a few and simple ingredients, you will get to enjoy your summer pie.
Now that I convinced you of how amazing this key lime pie is, let me introduce the Key lime pie without condensed milk recipe. Most of the key lime pie recipes include condensed milk, and despite how tasty this simple ingredient is, yet you don’t actually need it. You can substitute the condensed milk with egg yolks cooked over simmering water. This will save you time and will make it a no-bake pie, which is a win-win situation!
Frequently asked questions
How to choose a pie pan?
If you have trouble with the removal of the pie from the regular pie pan. You can use aluminum disposable pie plates or springform pans that can easily release the pie.
How to add extra flavor to the key lime pie?
The addition of the lime zest with the key lime juice really enhances the flavor of the lime and brings it out.
How to Make Key Lime Pie Recipe Without Condensed Milk
For the Graham cracker crust:
- 1½ cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons of melted butter
For the key lime filling:
- 3 egg yolks
- A cup of sugar
- ¼ cup of key lime juice
- 2 teaspoons of finely grated key lime zest
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 4 tablespoon butter
For the Whipped Cream Topping:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Start by mixing all the crust ingredients together in a bowl.
- Spread the mix on an 8" - 9.5" pie pan evenly to make the layer of crust. Transfer the pan to a preheated oven at 350F for 7 minutes. Leave the pan to cool for 30 minutes.
For the filling:
- Beat together the egg yolks and sugar till the sugar dissolves and the mix is of smooth consistency.
- Place the bowl containing the beaten eggs and sugar over a double boiler. Leave it to cook until the eggs double in size and become fluffy and paler in color.
- Add in the heavy cream and butter. When the butter melts, add the Key lime juice and zest.
- Spread the filling on the crust. Place the pie in the fridge for at least 3 hours to chill.
- Whisk with a stand mixer the sugar and heavy cream together, then add the vanilla extract for final flavor. Beat till the whipped cream form.
- Decorate your pie with the whipped cream and lemon zest.
- The egg whites remaining can be used for decoration after whisking them with ¼ teaspoon of cream of tartar and ½ cup powdered sugar till a firm texture is made. Spread over your pie. For extra fanciness, torch the egg whites layer to caramelize it.
- When making the fillings, if the consistency of the eggs with the rest of the ingredients is not firm enough, add 2 teaspoons of cornstarch and mix well. It should do the trick.
- Vanilla wafer can substitute the graham crackers for the crust.
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.