I think it’s the perfect time to make these new trendy, and definitely delicious Baby Yoda cookies!
Yup, you read it right. I mean, there is got to be a reason why these cute little things are all over the internet. Well, besides their perfect crispy ends, soft center and tasty, vibrant royal icing, which is made by the meringue powder.
There is their cute little baby yoda design made using the angel cookie cutter for all the star war fans out there. It’s even more fun when done with your family and kids. I am certain you will enjoy it so much.
- An important tip is to keep some white icing aside so that if the color is too dark after adding the food colorant, you could lighten it a bit.
- A combination of red, yellow and blue can result in your desired brown color.
- You can smooth the decorations a bit with your hands if it’s not smooth enough.
- The dough can be frozen for up to 6 months. When the cookies are individually packed, they can retain their freshness for a longer time.
How to Make Baby Yoda Cookies
For the sugar cookies:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ tablespoons of cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the royal icing:
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon of meringue powder
- 4-5 tablespoons of water left at room temperature
- Food coloring ( you will need green and brown)
- Black decorating gel
Making of the sugar cookie dough:
- Start by mixing the dry ingredients in a bowl. Cornstarch, flour and salt.
- In the stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together till the sugar melts and the batter is softened.
- Add in the vanilla extract and eggs and continue beating till you reach the smooth consistency.
- Pour in the dry ingredients and mix them with the wet mix, incorporating them well within each other.
- After flattening the dough and covering it in plastic wrap. Transfer the dough to chill in the fridge for 30-60 minutes. The dough can be left for up to a whole day.
- Once the dough is chilled, you can take it out of the fridge and roll it out to about ¼ inch on a dusted with flour surface to prevent it from sticking.
Shaping the cookies:
- With a Christmas angel cookie cutter, start cutting the flattened dough. Gather the extra dough and reroll it to flatten it again.
- Now, with a spoon or a small knife, cut the angel’s head off to make the baby Yoda shape. Try to make the edges smooth with a “mound” shape.
Baking of the cookies:
- Spread the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Transfer the baking tray to a preheated oven at 375°F.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes and take it out of the oven before they turn brown when the center is just puffy.
Making of the royal icing:
- Mix both the meringue powder and the powdered sugar in a bowl.
- Start adding the water gradually while beating the mix with a hand mixer at high speed till you obtain the “flooding” consistency. In the case of thin consistency, you can add extra powdered sugar. If it’s too thick, then add more water gradually.
- After reserving about 1-2 tablespoons of icing for the decoration between both eyes. Divide the rest of the icing between two bowls
- Add each of the colors, brown and green, in each bowl. Mix the colors well, increase the colorant to adjust the perfect color for baby Yoda. Cover the bowls with a wet paper towel covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying of the icing.
Decoration of the baby Yoda cookies:
- Fill a piping bag or a zip-lock bag with snipped corner, with the icing.
- Decorate the cookie with both colors till you have yourself a cute baby Yoda cookie. It should take at least 2 hours for the icing to dry, or you can place it in the fridge to dry quicker.