I hope you have already tried KFC crispy zinger burger at least once, because if you have, then you will probably appreciate this copycat recipe of the amazingly delicious spicy chicken burger that I brought to you.
That’s probably because of the fact that this burger is no longer served in the US, few countries still have it on their menus.
However, it’s good to know that you can make your burgers in the comfort of your own home anytime at any day.
Now, for the ones who never got the chance to try, then I highly recommend this masterpiece for you. It’s truly addictive.
What is exactly the zinger burger?
It’s one of the best KFC burgers. Made of super spicy tender chicken thighs, covered with the heavenly creamy sauce and some lettuce garnish, sandwiched between two buttery buns that are sprinkled with some sesame seeds. It tastes better than your imagination.
- When placing the chickens in the oil, they might drop the temperature of the oil slightly. Try to maintain the temp between 300-350F.
- Leave the chicken to warm to room temperature before dredging them to avoid the significant drop in temperature of the oil when cold chicken thighs are placed in the oil.
- You can use chicken breasts instead of thighs, but I think thighs are more suitable for this recipe.
- The recommended amount of hot sauce is 2 and ½ tablespoons. However, you can adjust the spiciness according to your preference.
- Thermometer will provide you with the oil readings which will ease the frying of the chicken significantly.
Frequently asked questions:
Describe the taste of the zinger burger?
It’s really the perfect taste between the spiciness of the hot sauce, the sugary flavor of the ketchup, and of course, the juicy and rich chicken thighs dipped in the burger sauce.
Zinger burger vs. fillet burger?
The fillet burger is the “not spicy” version of this delicious burger, so I highly recommend both of them.
Big crunch vs. zinger burger?
Zinger burger is definitely spicier, more crispy, and more toasted bun. It’s basically the 2.0 version of the big crunch.
Rate the spiciness of the sandwich?
It’s definitely spicy, but personally, I think It is not the repelling kind of spicy. It’s quite enjoyable actually and lasts for a good amount of time with no bitter taste.
How to Make Zinger Burger Homemade Recipe
For the chicken fillet:
- 4 boneless chicken thighs
- A cup of buttermilk
- 2 ½ tablespoons of hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
For the dredging mix:
- A cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon of white pepper
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ¼ tablespoon of salt
- ¼ tablespoon of paprika
Frying of the chicken:
- Vegetable oil (for deep frying of the chicken)
For the burger sauce:
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of mustard sauce
For the zinger burger:
- 4 burger buns (preferably covered with sesame seed)
- ½ bunch green leaf lettuce
- Butter (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients of the marinade in a large bowl (hot sauce, salt, pepper, and buttermilk)
- Leave the chicken thighs in the marinade for at least 3-4 hours, or overnight, after covering the bowl tightly with plastic wrap.
- Now, for the dredging mix. In another large bowl, mix the cornstarch, flour, garlic powder, dried oregano, white pepper, salt, paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Fill 2-inches of a large pan with vegetable oil. Set the pan on medium-high heat flame, wait for the oil to heat till 350˚F (177˚C).
- While the oil is heating, remove each chicken thigh from the marinade and cover it in the dredging mix thoroughly, making sure to shake off the excess mix.
- Lower each piece in the hot oil carefully. Make sure the pan is not overcrowded.
- Leave them to fry for 10-14 minutes with constant turning to each side every 2 minutes. They should have this appetizing golden brown color and an internal temperature of 165˚F.
- When they are cooked enough, remove each piece from the oil. Place the pieces on a cooling rack to remove the excess oil and rest for 10 minutes.
- Prepare your sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Grill your burger buns till they gain that golden brown color, then spread the butter on the browned side. Cover the lower bun with the prepared sauce, then place the fried chicken, lettuce and more burger sauce.
- Cover the burger with the top bun. Serve with fries and enjoy.
Hi, I’m Julie, the passionate foodie and founder of Juliesfamilykitchen.com. I created this blog out of a drive to prove someone wrong, and then I realized how much I truly enjoy cooking and trying new recipes. In my free time, when I’m not running around after my kids or spending quality time with my partner, you can usually find me in the kitchen experimenting with new dishes.