Despite how delicious the traditional rice pudding is, yet, this recipe has a simple twist that makes it 10x better than the simple rice pudding. The addition of the cocoa powder and chocolate chips make the flavorful Chocolate rice pudding seem like a sophisticated dessert when really, it’s not. In fact, it’s ready in less than 30 minutes with a few and accessible ingredients, giving this silky smooth and rich texture with a heavenly taste.
Frequently asked questions
How to distinguish between champorado and rice pudding?
Champorado can resemble rice pudding. However, they both differ in the type of rice used. Champorado is usually made of short-grained rice, while that of rice pudding is made of long-grained rice. Also, champorado is not always a sweet dessert. Sometime it’s served with dry salted fish.
The size of pan that should be used?
The 1-quart pan is the perfect size for this recipe.
How to Make Chocolate Rice Pudding
- ¼ cup of long grain rice
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- ½ tablespoon of cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract (Crème de Cacao can be used instead)
- 2 tablespoons of semisweet chocolate chips
- In a 1-quart saucepan, Mix the rice, milk, sugar, and salt. Put the pan on medium heat and occasionally stir until the rice is fully cooked and the pudding is thick. It should take about 20 minutes.
- After removing the pan from heat, add in the cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Followed by the chocolate chips with stirring till it melts completely.
- Pour the mix into a bowl and leave it to cool for 10 minutes. It should be served warm.
- The use of a pinch of chili powder flakes with the chocolate can add the perfect spicy and sweet combination to the taste.
- You can make your own vegan version of this dessert by using almond milk and vegan chocolate.
- The use of bittersweet chocolate instead of semisweet one can decrease the intensity of sweetness of the pudding.
Hi, I’m Julie, the passionate foodie and founder of Juliesfamilykitchen.com. I created this blog out of a drive to prove someone wrong, and then I realized how much I truly enjoy cooking and trying new recipes. In my free time, when I’m not running around after my kids or spending quality time with my partner, you can usually find me in the kitchen experimenting with new dishes.