You know you are expecting a warm and delicious meal when you are using your slow cooker. Don’t worry. This recipe is no different. It’s almost unbelievable how easy and simple it is to make this mouth-watering home-cooked meal. All you need is to dump all your ingredients in a large pot before leaving for work, only to come back to a perfect dinner.
Slow cooking the chuck roast with the other ingredients results in this heavenly, flavorsome gravy that you can dip some vegetables in, such as potatoes, carrots, onions, or your favorite ones, to make a whole and definitely satisfying meal.
Tips to consider when making this dish
- Chuck roast is especially good for this recipe. However, you could also use bottom round roast, Brisket, shoulder steak, and tri-tip.
- No liquids are added to the crockpot; All the gravy formed is due to the trapping of the steam by the slow cooker.
- To further thicken the sauce into a gravy, you can add cornstarch slurry (mixture of 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water) and leave them to cook for few minutes.
- Yukon gold and russet potatoes go well with this recipe.
- The meat doesn’t need to be seared before putting it into the slow cooker.
- Pepperoncini is an important ingredient in this recipe giving this remarkable spicy taste. However, you can also use pickled jalapeños, carrots, or dilly beans.
- Any leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days and easily reheated for a few minutes. It can also be frozen for up to 2 months in a container.
Ultimate Crockpot Mississippi Roast Recipe
- 3-4 pounds of chuck roast
- ¾ - 1 packet of au jus mix (You can get it from Amazon)
- 1 packet of ranch mix
- ¼ cup or ½ stick of unsalted butter
- 10 pepperoncini peppers
- Any vegetables you prefer
- In a six-quart slow cooker, add your vegetables with the roast on top.
- Add the au jus mix, butter, ranch mix, and peppers into the pot.
- Leave it to cook for 8 hours on low settings after covering the lid, or 4-5 hours on high settings.
- When the time is done, and the meat is tender and delicate. Start shredding it by two forks into small pieces.
- To make the heavenly gravy. Transfer the sauce in the pot to a pan and add a mix of 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water. Cook for a few minutes till it thickens enough.
- For the finishing touches, dish up the shredded meat, sprinkle some chopped parsley with a drizzle of the thickened gravy. Enjoy.
Hi, I’m Julie, the passionate foodie and founder of Juliesfamilykitchen.com. I created this blog out of a drive to prove someone wrong, and then I realized how much I truly enjoy cooking and trying new recipes. In my free time, when I’m not running around after my kids or spending quality time with my partner, you can usually find me in the kitchen experimenting with new dishes.