Despite how simple the ingredients are for this recipe, yet combining the taste of the famous Texas hot dogs with the spicy flavor of the Mexican chili powder together with melted cheese on top, can result into a Texas-Mexican perfection!
Easy Chili Dog Casserole Recipe
- A package of refrigerated biscuit dough (You can also use crescent roll, cornbread, tater tot, or buns)
- 6 Hot dogs (Kosher dogs, organic beef sausages, or veggie dogs)
- 1 onion chopped
- Tablespoon of olive oil
- Can of chopped tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- Can of chili beans (16 oz)
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of cumin powder
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Green onion chopped for garnishing (optional)
- First off, Hot dogs are cut into 1.5-inch pieces. Stuff each piece into the flattened, halved dough.
- Align each wrapped piece of dough in a circle in the baking casserole.
- Leave the casserole in a preheated oven at 400°F for 10-12 minutes.
- Into a separate pan, start preparing your chili sauce by adding the chopped onions to the olive oil and cook till the onions are soft and translucent. Add in the spices (chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper) plus the chopped tomatoes.
- Leave the sauce on medium heat with occasional mixing for 10 minutes or until it thickens enough.
- Make sure the dough is golden brown and crusty enough before removing it from the oven so that the sauce doesn’t soften the crust. Then place the chili sauce in the center of the casserole and scatter the grated cheese on top of the pan contents, and into the oven it goes again for 8 minutes or till the cheese melts.
- You can use any type of cheese you prefer. For me, a mix of Monterey Jack and Mozzarella cheese gave the best melting results.
- Enjoy this delicious meal with a side dish as fruit salsa or blooming onion.
- You can store any leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days max. Just reheat it for 10-15 minutes and enjoy!
Related Dinner Recipes
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
Applebees sriracha shrimp recipe
Honey Sriracha Brussels Sprouts
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.