Another day and another sous vide meat recipe. You can already tell how much I love cooking steaks and meat in general with this technique by the number of recipes I post. And that’s because sous vide results in the most tender, smooth, and delicate meat ever. And this recipe is no different!
Cooking Pork shoulder with the sous vide technique tenderizes and softens the meat to an extent where it could be easily shredded using only two forks, retaining all the moisture and heavenly flavor!
Although pork shoulder with bones has some extra flavor, yet you are free to use boneless meat. What’s cool about this recipe is the fact that it’s gluten-free, low carb, paleo, and keto-friendly. All you need to do is to just leave it to cook in sous vide for 16-24 hours, you can do whatever you want during this time, then crisp it up for few minutes, and that’s it!
Some tips you need to consider:
- Cooking this type of meat specifically at 165°F / 74°C for about 18 hours has the best outcome.
- You can freeze the meat leftover for up to 3 days.
- You can reheat the cooked meat for 3-5 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- In the case of a frozen Pork shoulder, it takes almost the same time when cooking it in the sous vide as the not frozen one
|145°F / 63°C||24 to 36 hours||Tender and moist, yet can’t be shredded easily.|
|165°F / 74°C||16 to 24 hours||Tender and moist and can be shredded with forks easily.|
|185°F / 85°C||12 to 16 hours||Slightly dry, yet soft as the traditional texture.|
Sous Vide Pork Shoulder Recipe
Ingredients used for Sous vide pork shoulder
- 4-5 Pounds of bone-in or boneless pork shoulder or pork butt
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons fine cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of fine black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 4-5 minced garlic cloves
- ¾ cup of pineapple or orange juice
Ingredients needed for pulled pork sandwiches
- 1 cup of BBQ sauce
- Hamburger buns
- Butter (optional)
- Prepare the seasoning of the pork by mixing the salt, pepper, oregano, minced garlic, cumin, and paprika in a small bowl.
- Using your hands, rub the seasoning on the pork shoulder well.
- To prepare the Sous vide, you will first need to fill its container with water, then adjust the temperature to 165°F (74°C) or according to the required doneness. ( check the temperature-doneness guide that I will leave at the end of the recipe)
- Now, for the ‘Water displacement’ technique, you will need to put your meat with the pineapple juice in a zip-lock bag, then close the bag completely except one corner to allow air to come out. Dip the bag in a water filler container, keeping the zip-line above the water surface. Close the zip-line completely.
- Dip the bag completely into the sous vide container.
- If you are using a large pot filled with water, seal it well with aluminum foil and leave it to cook for 16-24 hours. Make sure to check the water level every few hours and refill it if necessary. If you’re using sous vide, just cover it with the lid and leave it to cook.
- When it’s done, remove the meat from the bag into a baking tray and start shredding it with two forks into small pieces, then mix in one cup of the juices left in the bag to enhance its moist, rich flavor.
- Crisp up the shredded meat for 5-10 minutes on high heat under the broiler in the oven.
- Spread the BBQ sauce on the meat when it’s done. Now it’s ready to eat.
- You can also make the delicious Pull pork shoulder sandwiches by buttering up the hamburger buns, broil it in the oven, then add the shredded meat, BBQ sauce, and coleslaw and enjoy!
Related Dinner Dish Recipes
Sous vide steak temp
What is Oshinko and How To Make Oshinko Roll
Sous Vide New York Strip
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.