The emergency meal, also known as ‘SOS’. With a few and simple ingredients, almost ready in no time, have all the nutrients of a full dish. Composed of creamy chipped beef on a toast. Not to mention its incredible taste and the fact that it could be considered breakfast, lunch or even dinner!
This is the healthier version of the traditional American military one, with a much lighter white sauce with less butter, retaining the same delicious taste.
Some tips to consider when making the recipe
- Taste the dried beef before adding it to the ban, as some types are too salty. If it’s salty, you can leave it in a bowl containing hot water for 10 minutes to reduce the salty taste in it. No need to add extra salt to the dish
- Potatoes or eggs are good alternatives to the toast as a breakfast meal.
- You can substitute the dried beef with ground beef. Same delicious taste!
- You can serve this dish with pasta with veggies on the side!
Shit On A Shingle Recipe (Creamed Chipped Beef on toast)
- 8 oz of dried beef
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cup of milk
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Place a pan on medium-low heat. Into the pan add the butter.
- When the butter melts, add the flour. Cook it for 2-3 minutes with thorough mixing to decrease the floury taste.
- Season the flour with the black pepper. Add in the milk to make the creamy sauce. Stir it becomes smooth with the preferred consistency.
- After cutting the dried beef into bite-sized pieces, add it to the pan.
- If the sauce is too thick, you can add more milk, ¼ cup at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Serve it warm over the toast. Enjoy!
Hi, I’m Julie, the passionate foodie and founder of Juliesfamilykitchen.com. I created this blog out of a drive to prove someone wrong, and then I realized how much I truly enjoy cooking and trying new recipes. In my free time, when I’m not running around after my kids or spending quality time with my partner, you can usually find me in the kitchen experimenting with new dishes.