Here’s a new sushi recipe for all the sushi addicts out there. This is a very special recipe for me, as it’s made of the infamous tasty Japanese unagi and fresh cucumber rolled in Nori sheets and sushi rice inside-out. With a final topping of avocado!
The avocado topping on the caterpillar rolls gives it a unique and delightful look resembling the caterpillar, so it’s very fun to eat.
Some tips to consider when making this recipe
- Make sure to get a sushi rolling mat, highly available and very handy when making sushi rolls.
- Using Japanese short-grain rice is highly recommended in this recipe, giving fluffier outcome. Use the High-quality type with a 1:1 ratio with the water to maintain this fluffiness even after its compression in the roll.
- Make sure you have some Tezu water in a small bowl when rolling the sushi to prevent the rice from sticking to your fingertips. It’s fairly easy to make. You just need to mix 1/4 cup of water and 2 teaspoons rice vinegar together.
- Squeezing the rolls while and after rolling them gently with your hands prevent the rolls from falling apart.
- Squeezing lemon on the avocado slows down its browning.
- It’s advised to eat the caterpillar rolls on the same day. You won’t resist anyways.
How to Make Caterpillar Roll
For the sushi rice
- 1 cup of sushi rice
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of sushi vinegar (optional) ( made by mixing 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar and ½ tablespoon of sugar together)
For caterpillar rolls
- 4 oz of unagi ( you can use shrimp or tuna instead)
- ½ of cucumber cut into half-inch strips
- 2 nori sheets
- 2 ripped avocadoes
- Wash the rice well with cold water many times until the water is clear enough to remove all the excess rice starch. Proceed by adding the washed rice with the water in the rice maker and cook according to the instructions.
- Spread the cooked rice in a plate or a large bowl to cool slightly, but not completely, then (optional) mix in the sushi vinegar or the mix of rice vinegar and sugar. Leave them aside and start preparing the sushi rolls.
- To prepare the unagi: Empty the unagi package into a baking tray and bake at 360F for 10-12 minutes. Cut into half inch strips.
- Assemble the sushi rolls: Start making your sushi rolls by Spreading your rolling mat with a plastic wrap on top to easily clean up after.
- Spread only ½ of the nori sheet on the mat with the shiny surface facing the mat.
- On the nori sheet, put ¾ cup of the cooked rice. Wet your fingertips with tezu water before you start rolling the sheet.
- Flip the Nori sheet so that the rice layer is facing the rolling mat.
- On the nori sheets, put the strips of unagi and cucumber.
- With your thumbs beneath the rolling mat, lift the edge above the fillings and start rolling it away from you, all while gently yet firmly pressing on the roll.
- With a sharp knife, cut the perfectly ripe avocado in halves, peel the skin off each half. Start slicing it into thin half-moon slices for the topping.
- Spread the slices on the counter with the palm of your hand, then lift them together with a wide knife and place them on top of the sushi roll.
- Put a plastic wrap on top. With the rolling mat, squeeze the roll gently to shape the avocado to the roll.
- Start slicing the roll into bite-sized pieces after removing the bamboo rolling mat.
- Remove the plastic wrap from each slice and enjoy!
Related Amazing Dinner Recipes
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.