Despite the different varieties of crab existing, the Snow crab and King crab are the most common types used in cooking. Both have delicate and tender white meat, yet it’s essential to know how to differentiate between them.
According to these 6 points, you can know the difference between snow crab and king crab:
|Snow crab||King crab|
|Size and weight||Smaller Weigh 1-3 lb||Larger Weigh more than 20 lb|
|Taste||Sweet taste with briny flavor||Smooth and sweet with a lobster flavor|
|Texture||More fibrous and easier to separate||More tender and smoother|
|Ease of eating||Easier to handle can be cracked just by hands.||Requires crackers to handle the crab|
|Fishing season||From fall to summer||Late fall to early winter|
Choosing which one to buy depends on your budget and personal preference. King crabs have larger and taller legs than snow crabs. However, when it comes to their taste, they are both splendid!
As for their cooking, Most of the crabs already found in the market are cooked and frozen, so it will only take you 8 minutes after thawing them to put your little touch and reheat it. Reheating them can be done by boiling, steaming, baking, or grilling. But I prefer Baking!
Snow Crab vs King Crab Recipe
- 3-4 lb of crab legs (either type)
- ¼ cup of melted unsalted butter
- 1 lemon sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley.
- First, you need to mix the melted butter with the parsley in a small bowl.
- In a baking tray, align the thawed crab legs and coat each leg well with the buttery mix, then into a preheated oven to 375 °F (191°C) the tray goes.
- You can leave the frozen legs under running cold water for 15 minutes instead of thawing.
- Leave the tray to bake for 7-8 minutes.
- Avoid overcooking the crab legs so that it doesn’t turn into a more chewy texture.
- Align the legs on a plate with the lemon slices and more freshly chopped parsley on top. Serve with some melted butter and enjoy this heavenly meal.
Other dinner recipes you’ll love
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.