If you are a sushi enthusiast like myself, then this recipe is the one for you!
You can make your own fancy Tekkamaki tuna roll with a few and simple steps. It’s made of the highest tuna grade “Sashimi grade tuna” engulfed by the rice and nori sheets in a roll.
Instead of ordering this expensive dish, learn how to make your own, with the same delicious taste and a much lower price.
Some tips when making this recipe
- Using Japanese short-grain rice is highly recommended in this recipe, giving a fluffier outcome. Use the High-quality type with a 1:1 ratio with the water to maintain this fluffiness even after its compression in the roll.
- Make sure you have some Tezu water in a small bowl when rolling the sushi to prevent the rice from sticking to your fingertips. It’s fairly easy to make. You just need to mix 1/4 cup of water and 2 teaspoons rice vinegar together.
- Squeezing the rolls while and after rolling them gently with your hands prevent the rolls from falling apart.
- For some extra heat, you can add spicy mayo to the tuna.
- Canned or cooked tuna can be used instead of raw ones.
- To toast the sesame seeds. Add them to a skillet on a medium flame and leave them to toast for 5 minutes to enhance the released flavors.
- If the sushi rolling mat isn’t available, you can use parchment paper.
Tekkamaki Tuna Roll Recipe
- 1 ½ cup of sushi rice
- 1 ½ cup of water
- 1 ½ tablespoon of sushi vinegar (optional) (Made by mixing 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt)
For Tekka maki
- 4 oz of sashimi gradetuna
- 2 nori sheets
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds(Toasting them is preferred)
Optional for serving
- Soy sauce
- Slice your tuna into ½-inch slices.
- Start making your sushi rolls by Spreading your rolling mat with a plastic wrap on top to easily clean up after.
- Separate each nori sheet into two halves using a pair of scissors. Lay each half on the rolling mat.
- On the nori sheet, put ¾ cup of the cooked rice. Wet your fingertips with tezu water before you start rolling the sheet. Make sure the rice form a thin sheet.
- Spread the toasted sesame seeds evenly on top.
- Transfer the slices of tuna on top of the rice.
- With your thumbs beneath the rolling mat, lift the edge above the fillings and start rolling it away from you, all while gently yet firmly pressing on the roll.
- Cut your roll into bite-sized pieces. Enjoy.
More Dinner Recipes
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.