If you are a sushi enthusiast like myself, then this recipe is the one for you!
You can make your own fancy Tekkamaki tuna roll with a few and simple steps. It’s made of the highest tuna grade “Sashimi grade tuna” engulfed by the rice and nori sheets in a roll.
Instead of ordering this expensive dish, learn how to make your own, with the same delicious taste and a much lower price.
Some tips when making this recipe
- Using Japanese short-grain rice is highly recommended in this recipe, giving a fluffier outcome. Use the High-quality type with a 1:1 ratio with the water to maintain this fluffiness even after its compression in the roll.
- Make sure you have some Tezu water in a small bowl when rolling the sushi to prevent the rice from sticking to your fingertips. It’s fairly easy to make. You just need to mix 1/4 cup of water and 2 teaspoons rice vinegar together.
- Squeezing the rolls while and after rolling them gently with your hands prevent the rolls from falling apart.
- For some extra heat, you can add spicy mayo to the tuna.
- Canned or cooked tuna can be used instead of raw ones.
- To toast the sesame seeds. Add them to a skillet on a medium flame and leave them to toast for 5 minutes to enhance the released flavors.
- If the sushi rolling mat isn’t available, you can use parchment paper.
Tekkamaki Tuna Roll Recipe
- 1 ½ cup of sushi rice
- 1 ½ cup of water
- 1 ½ tablespoon of sushi vinegar (optional) (Made by mixing 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt)
For Tekka maki
- 4 oz of sashimi gradetuna
- 2 nori sheets
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds(Toasting them is preferred)
Optional for serving
- Soy sauce
- Slice your tuna into ½-inch slices.
- Start making your sushi rolls by Spreading your rolling mat with a plastic wrap on top to easily clean up after.
- Separate each nori sheet into two halves using a pair of scissors. Lay each half on the rolling mat.
- On the nori sheet, put ¾ cup of the cooked rice. Wet your fingertips with tezu water before you start rolling the sheet. Make sure the rice form a thin sheet.
- Spread the toasted sesame seeds evenly on top.
- Transfer the slices of tuna on top of the rice.
- With your thumbs beneath the rolling mat, lift the edge above the fillings and start rolling it away from you, all while gently yet firmly pressing on the roll.
- Cut your roll into bite-sized pieces. Enjoy.