If you want to treat yourself to the best Thai dinner that literally won’t take you more than a few minutes to make, then look no further. You won’t need to order in or use any packaged noodles. You will learn how to make the sweet and savory Pad woon sen from scratch, with the easiest steps and best results that you won’t be able to distinguish from any ready-made one!
The cool thing about making this dish yourself is the fact that you can use any amount and type of veggies you prefer with the protein of your choice. You have so many different options like pork, beef, shrimp, or tofu. Or veggies like bell pepper, mushroom, and bok choy. You can control its spiciness by using Thai Peppers or red pepper flakes. So really, it’s up to you to adjust this dish to your preferences!
Some tips to ensure the best outcome:
- Add one tablespoon at a time of water on the noodles in the pan if they are a bit dry.
- Oyster and fish sauces are essential ingredients in the sauce to give this rich original taste of the Pad Thai Woon Sen.
- You can make a completely gluten-free dish by adding gluten-free fish and soy sauce since the noodles are already gluten-free.
- You can substitute the rice noodles for zucchini noodles, vegetable oil for sub avocado oil, and sugar for honey for a much healthier dish.
Pad Woon Sen (Thai Stir Fried Glass Noodles)
- 6 oz of dried glass noodles (also called cellophane noodles, fensi, or bean thread noodles.)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 pound of skinless, boneless chicken breasts (or any type of protein you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- ½ medium onion (thinly sliced)
- ½ cup of thinly sliced carrots
- 2 cups of thinly sliced cabbage (You can use any type of veggies you prefer)
- 1 medium tomato (remove its seeds and cut it into thin slices)
- ½ teaspoon of ground white or black pepper
- 2 whisked eggs
- 2 chopped green onions
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce (low sodium soy sauce is preferred)
- 3 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- ¼ cup of water
- Start by soaking your noodles in room temp water in a bowl according to package instructions. Drain them. Sprinkle some oil and toss them a bit to prevent them from sticking.
- Prepare your delicious sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Into a pan on medium-high heat drizzled with oil, stir-fry your chicken breasts for 6 minutes on both sides.
- Transfer your chicken from the pan and add some more oil and toss in the garlic till it lightly browns and dump in the rest of the veggies with the peppers and leave them to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Into the same pan with the veggies add the scrambled eggs, on the empty side and cook them thoroughly.
- Return back the chicken into the pan and add the noodles with the sauce. Mix everything together to thoroughly spread the heavenly flavor within the ingredients. Cook till the noodles are soft enough. Serve and enjoy.