The idea of cooking Pig’s feet can sound somehow odd. However, it’s a very famous Chinese recipe that’s exceptionally delicious if cooked with the right recipe!
Despite the variety of ways of cooking pig’s feet, my favorite is on the stove, where the feet are cooked slowly in a sauce with all the ingredients enhancing and enriching the flavor even more, making the whole meal a unique and flavorful experience.
The collagen in the pig’s feet has a low amount of fat, giving a greaseless taste and definitely a healthy one. Traditionally they were often used as an anti-aging and anti-wrinkles home remedy.
Some tips to consider when making this recipe
- The first step in cooking the pig’s feet is essential as it removes all the meat odors and helps to clean it, and it’s important to throw the water the feet were firstly boiled in.
- You can cook the pig’s feet in a pressure cooker instead of slow cooking. You will need to add 1.5 cups of chicken stock or water to the pot. Cook for 30 minutes, with 15 minutes to release pressure and enjoy.
- You can also use crockpot for cooking. Just leave to cook for 3 hours on high heat and 6 hours on low one.
How to Make Pork Feet Recipe
- 1 ½ pound of pig’s feet
- 1-inch finely sliced ginger (you can also use ginger powder)
- 1 green onion chopped
- 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
- ½ onion sliced
- 1/3 cup of cooking wine (you can substitute it with beer)
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce (use a mix of 2 tablespoons of dark and 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce)
- 1-2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 4 star anise
- 1-2 teaspoons of salt
- Water as needed to thoroughly cook the feet
- Start by thoroughly cleaning the pig’s feet from any hair and wash them well.
- Into a large pot, add the pig’s feet and fill it with water so that the feet are fully submerged.
- Add the ginger and green onions and let it boil for 5 minutes. Drain the water.
- Into a separate pan on medium heat, add the vegetable oil and the garlic and onions. Let them stir-fry till they brown.
- Transfer the pig feet chunks, star anises, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, cooking wine, and sugar to the pan.
- Add more water to the pan so that it’s fully covering the pig’s feet.
- Leave the water to boil, then lower the heat, cover the lid, and let it cook slowly for 50 minutes to 1 hour, till all the flavors merge together and the feet tenderizes.
- After they cook, thicken the sauce by removing the lid and increase the heat a bit and mix till the sauce thickens more.
- Add the salt according to the taste. Serve and enjoy!
Try more delicious dinner recipes:
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.