Chicken dinners can get boring quickly with the same old sauces and seasonings. This easy, creamy garlic chicken recipe will add excitement to your weeknight meals! Bursting with flavor from simple yet robust ingredients, this dish is sure to become a new family favorite.
Tips for the Best Creamy Garlic Chicken
- Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts to reduce cooking time. Bone-in chicken or thighs work too.
- Mince the garlic finely for the best flavor distribution.
- Whisk the flour and butter thoroughly to prevent lumps in the sauce.
- Substitute milk or half-and-half for the heavy cream for a lower-fat version.
- Stir the sauce frequently while simmering to prevent sticking or burning.
- Check the chicken for doneness before removing it from the heat. It should reach 165°F internally.
- Garnish with chopped parsley or parmesan for extra flavor.
- Serve creamy garlic chicken with rice, pasta, or crusty bread to soak up the tasty sauce!
Storing and Reheating Leftover Creamy Garlic Chicken
Leftover creamy garlic chicken will keep for 3–4 days in the refrigerator. Transfer leftovers to an airtight container and refrigerate within 2 hours of cooking. The sauce may thicken up when chilled.
Reheat individual portions in the microwave or on the stovetop over medium-low heat. The sauce will likely need to be thinned out. Stir in 1-2 tablespoons of milk, cream, or chicken broth when reheating.
Bring the creamy garlic chicken up to 165°F internally before serving. Stir occasionally to ensure even heating. Add more cream or broth if needed to achieve the desired consistency.
This recipe freezes well for long-term storage. First, portion into freezer-safe containers or bags. Let the chicken cool completely before freezing. The sauce may separate after thawing; simply reheat gently and stir to combine.
With proper storage in the refrigerator or freezer, leftovers of this creamy garlic chicken will keep for several days. The flavors meld together even more over time, resulting in an even tastier meal the second time around.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I serve with creamy garlic chicken?
Rice or pasta makes a great pairing to soak up the delicious sauce. Steamed broccoli or a side salad also complement this chicken nicely.
Can I use boneless chicken thighs instead?
Yes, boneless thighs can be substituted for the chicken breasts. The cooking time may need to be extended by 5–10 minutes since thighs are thicker.
How long will the creamy garlic chicken keep as leftovers?
Leftover creamy garlic chicken will keep for 3–4 days in the refrigerator. The sauce may thicken up when chilled. Add a splash of milk or cream when reheating to thin it out.
Can I prepare this chicken recipe in advance?
You can prep the sauce up to two days in advance. Cook the chicken right before serving for the best texture and flavor. Refrigerate the sauce until ready to finish cooking the chicken.
What spices pair well with creamy garlic chicken?
Parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary, and paprika all taste great with this garlic cream sauce. Use about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of dried herbs or spices.
Can I use regular milk instead of heavy cream?
You can substitute milk for the heavy cream, but the sauce won’t be as thick or rich. For best results, use whole milk. Skim or low-fat milk may cause the sauce to curdle or separate.
Creamy Garlic Chicken Breast Recipe
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Whisk in the flour to form a smooth paste. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Pour in the chicken broth and heavy cream while whisking. Bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Add the parmesan cheese and parsley, stirring until the cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken breasts to the sauce, and spoon some of the sauce over the top of each breast.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15–20 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve the creamy garlic chicken topped with extra sauce. Enjoy!
- Use fresh, quality ingredients for the best flavor.
- Check that the chicken is fully cooked before serving.
- Sauce may separate if boiled; stir frequently and adjust heat as needed.
- Add more garlic if you love the intense garlic flavor.
- Serve over pasta, rice, or crusty bread for an amazing meal.
Hi, I’m Julie, the passionate foodie and founder of Juliesfamilykitchen.com. I created this blog out of a drive to prove someone wrong, and then I realized how much I truly enjoy cooking and trying new recipes. In my free time, when I’m not running around after my kids or spending quality time with my partner, you can usually find me in the kitchen experimenting with new dishes.