Despite the fact that sushi originally originated from Japan. However, this particular sushi recipe came from Eastern U.S. due to the abundance of shrimp in that part. That’s why it’s one special sushi recipe that combines two of the best cuisines together into one recipe. I am sure you would love it!
The delicious Boston roll is made of poached shrimp, creamy avocado, and crunchy fresh cucumber rolled inside-out in nori sheets and some delicious sushi rice, garnished with tobiko or masago.
An added bonus for all the people that aren’t really keen on raw fish, in this recipe, cooked shrimps are used.
Some tips to consider when making this recipe
- Using Japanese short-grain rice is highly recommended in this recipe, giving a fluffier outcome. Use the High-quality type with a 1:1 ratio with the water to maintain this fluffiness even after its compression in the roll. For softer rice, you can use the ratio of 1.2:1.
- Make sure you have some Tezu water in a small bowl when rolling the sushi to prevent the rice from sticking to your fingertips. It’s fairly easy to make. You just need to mix 1/4 cup of water and 2 teaspoons rice vinegar together.
- Squeezing the rolls while and after rolling them gently with your hands prevent the rolls from falling apart.
- Fresh, thawed or frozen shrimps work well with this recipe.
- Smaller shrimps are preferred for this recipe. You can cut big ones into two longitudinal halves.
- Choose the ripe yet firm avocados. You can check their ripeness by removing the stem and checking the navel. It should be removed easily.
How to Make Boston Roll Sushi Recipe
- 1 cup of sushi rice
- 1 cup of water
- 1 ½ tablespoon of sushi vinegar (optional) (Made by mixing 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt)
For Boston sushi
- 3-6 tablespoons of tobiko (or masago)
- 6 oz of shrimp
- ½ inch cucumber
- 2 nori sheets
- 2 ripped avocados
Optional for serving
- Soy sauce
- Wash the rice well with cold water many times until the water is clear enough to remove all the excess rice starch. Proceed by adding the washed rice with the water in the rice maker and cook according to the instructions.
- Spread the cooked rice in a plate or a large bowl to cool slightly, but not completely, then mix in the sushi vinegar prepared from the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Leave them aside and start preparing the sushi rolls.
- Into a pot of boiling water, add some salt and optionally, you can add parsley, wine and lemon juice for seasoning. Add your shrimp to cook for 3-5 minutes. When the time is done, transfer the shrimp into cold water to stop their cooking. Peel them and remove the tails.
- Start making your sushi rolls by Spreading your rolling mat with a plastic wrap on top to easily clean up after.
- Separate each nori sheet into two halves using a pair of scissors. Lay each half on the rolling mat.
- On the nori sheet, put ¾ cup of the cooked rice. Wet your fingertips with tezu water before you start rolling the sheet. Make sure the rice form a thin sheet. Don’t compress the rice with your fingers.
- Flip the nori sheet so that it’s facing you and the rice is facing the bamboo mat.
- Transfer your filling on the nori sheet (avocados, ½-inch slices of cucumber, and shrimp). Don’t overfill.
- With your thumbs beneath the rolling mat, lift the edge above the fillings and start rolling it away from you, all while gently yet firmly pressing on the roll.
- After removing the bamboo mat, spread the tobiko on the sushi roll well.
- With the plastic wrap on top of the roll, press gently on the roll so that the tobiko stick well.
- Cut your roll into bite-sized pieces. Remove the wrap and enjoy.
Try more delicious dinner recipes:
[Guide] How to Make Mongolian Grill BBQ at Home
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.