Japan is famous for its delicious and unique seafood recipes, and this one is no different. Amaebi is a mouth-watering northern shrimp that has a special sweet and savory taste. It usually lives in the deep sea, and specifically caught young for the ultimate sweet taste. Of course, no cooking is necessary. The fresh sweet taste is usually enjoyed raw.
The healthy, filled with vitamins and proteins shrimp, is usually served as a sushi, nigiri, or just eaten raw!
How to Cook Amaebi Sweet Shrimp - Spot Prawns Recipe
- 1 oz of Amaebi
Optional for serving
- Pickled ginger
- Soy sauce
- In the case of the frozen shrimp, wait till it defrosts.
- Start removing the head of the shrimp by holding the head between your thumb and index fingers and twist with a gentle pull to separate it from the body.
- Remove the shell from the rest of the body but leave the tail intact.
- After rinsing the shrimp with a sharp knife, cut the back, but not completely and remove the entrails.
For making the Amaebi sashimi
- Prepare two separate bowls, one containing hot water and another one containing iced water.
- Place the prepared and cleaned shrimps in the hot bowl for few seconds, then transfer it into the iced one.
- Dry the shrimps and arrange them into a serving plate. You can also arrange the fried heads beside them.
- When buying the sweet shrimps, choose the translucent ones, not the pink ones with the curled tails.
- You can freeze the shrimps for 3 days, if you left them in a container with ice.
Try More Delicious Dinner Recipes
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.