Add this new recipe to your list of “Amazing cooked sushi rolls”. Because Shrimp tempura rolls are, in fact, delicious and mouth-watering, these Japanese sushi rolls are made of creamy avocadoes, shrimp tempura, and cucumbers all wrapped up in flavorful sushi rice and nori sheets, covered by spicy mayo or soy sauce. With just a few simple steps, you can make your own delicious Godzilla rolls better than any restaurant!
Some important tips:
- Using Japanese short-grain rice is highly recommended in this recipe, giving a fluffier outcome. Use the High-quality type with a 1:1 ratio with the water to maintain this fluffiness even after its compression in the roll. For softer rice, you can use the ratio of 1.2:1.
- Make sure you have some Tezu water in a small bowl when rolling the sushi to prevent the rice from sticking to your fingertips. It’s fairly easy to make. You just need to mix 1/4 cup of water and 2 teaspoons rice vinegar together.
- Squeezing the rolls while and after rolling them gently with your hands prevent the rolls from falling apart.
- Remove the seeds if you’re using American cucumber, as they tend to have a lot of moisture.
- Choose the ripe, yet firm, avocados so they aren’t too soft and mushy when they are used as sushi fillings.
- You can make your own Shrimp tempura by deep frying raw shrimps covered in tempura batter till they are golden and crispy.
Godzilla Roll Sushi (Shrimp Tempura Roll Recipe)
- 1 cup of sushi rice
- 1 cup of water
- 1 ½ tablespoon of sushi vinegar (optional) (Made by mixing 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt)
- 6 oz pre-cooked shrimp tempura
- ½ cucumber cut into thin slices
- 1 avocado cut into thin slices
- 2 nori sheets
Optional for serving
- Soy sauce
- Wash the rice well with cold water many times until the water is clear enough to remove all the excess rice starch. Proceed by adding the washed rice with the water in the rice maker and cook according to the instructions.
- Spread the cooked rice in a plate or a large bowl to cool slightly, but not completely, then mix in the sushi vinegar prepared from the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Leave them aside and start preparing the sushi rolls.
The Godzilla rolls
- Start making your sushi rolls by Spreading your rolling mat with a plastic wrap on top to easily clean up after.
- Cut the first 1/3 of the nori sheet with scissors and remove it. Keep the 2/3 of the sheet and place it on the bamboo mat with the shinning surface facing down.
- On the nori sheet, put ¾ cup of the cooked rice. Wet your fingertips with tezu water before you start rolling the sheet. Make sure the rice form a thin sheet. Don’t compress the rice with your fingers.
- Add the fillings, shrimp tempura, avocado, and cucumber slices on top of the rice bed.
- With your thumbs beneath the rolling mat, lift the edge above the fillings and start rolling it away from you, all while gently yet firmly pressing on the roll.
- After removing the bamboo mat and creating the perfect cylindrical sushi roll. With a sharp knife, cut the roll into equal-sized pieces (about 6-8 pieces)
- Serve with wasabi and soy sauce.
If You Like This Recipe Try Out Other Dinner Recipes
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.