Craving these commercial golden brown, crispy, and mouth-watering deep-fried chicken. And no matter how many times you tried to make it, it never turn out crispy or appealing enough?
Well, here’s the perfect recipe for you. Now, you get to make your own homemade super crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, flavorful fried chicken!
Sous vide offers you the perfect doneness from the inside, then with a few simple ingredients to coat the chicken with, followed by deep frying in canola oil. You will have the best treat ever!
Some important tips:
- Canola or peanut oil are the best for deep frying, as they have a high smoking points.
- Double dredging the chicken pieces in the flour mix, especially the cornstarch, yields the best crispiness and color when frying them.
- Beaten eggs work well instead of buttermilk.
How to Make Crispy and Tender Sous Vide Fried Chicken Recipe
For the sous vide of the chicken
- 12 chicken drumsticks skin on (check notes)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
For frying of the chicken
- 3 cups of buttermilk
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- ½ tablespoon of ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Vegetable oil for frying
Sous vide the chicken
- To prepare the Sous vide, you will first need to fill its container with water, then adjust the temperature to 155°F (68°C). Leave it to preheat.
- Sprinkle on top of the chicken the salt and pepper.
- In a zip-lock bag, put the seasoned chicken. Align them in one layer in the bag.
- Now, for the ‘Water displacement’ technique, close the bag containing the chicken drum sticks completely except one corner to allow air to come out. Dip the bag in a water-filled container, keeping the zip-line above the water surface. Close the zip-line completely.
- Dip the bag completely in the Sous Vide container. Leave it to cook for 2 hours in case of chicken drumsticks.
Frying of the chicken
- Leave a saucepan on medium-high heat filled with 2-inch deep oil to heat till the oil reach 350˚F (177˚C).
- Mix thoroughly the flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano in a bowl.
- In another bowl, add the buttermilk.
- When the time is over, remove the chicken pieces from the bag. Dry them well with paper towels.
- Now the fun part. Coat each chicken piece in the flour mix well, then transfer it to the buttermilk, then back again to the flour mix. Pat off any excess flour.
- After thoroughly coating the chicken pieces. Lower each piece in the oil. Make sure the pan isn’t crowded so that they could cook properly. Maintain the oil temperature between 300-350 ˚F.
- When they turn to the beautiful golden brown crispy color. Transfer them to a cooling rack. Leave them to cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- You can cook other chicken parts like wings, thighs, and breasts. Here’s a temperature guide to adjust the cooking of the other chicken parts:
- Chicken wings: 45 minutes
- Chicken thighs: 1 to 1.5 hours
- Chicken breasts: 1.5 hours
Try Out Other Dinner Recipes
How to Make Godzilla Roll Recipe
How to Make Sous Vide Frozen Salmon
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.