There are so many different varieties of pizza toppings, all of which are delicious in their own way, of course. However, this one is unique somehow. Don’t be surprised when you read the title of this recipe. I promise you. It’s very tasty!
All the way from Naples, Italy. This pizza is the perfect combination of the saltiness in the anchovy and the sweetness of the tomato sauce and the red onions with the mozzarella cheese!
Some tips to consider when making this recipe
- The key ingredient in this recipe is a high quality anchovy, the ones stored in a jar, not a can. They are usually tender and flavorful, yet not fishy!
- Choose the whole milk, low moisture, whole not shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Red onions are usually sweeter and tend to caramelize easier than white ones. However, you can use any type you have.
- Capers add a bit of sour kick to the flavor of the pizza.
- Go for the kalamata olives.
- Pizza stone or pizza steel is recommended when baking the pizza, as they tend to spread the heat evenly. However, using a baking tray or iron skillet work fine as well.
- Anchovies are added at the last 5 minutes of baking, as they don’t need a lot of time to be cooked.
- For crusty brown edges, make sure to make the edges thin when flattening the pizza dough. But make it a bit thicker, if you want more fluffy and chewy edges.
- Make sure the oven is preheated sufficiently before letting your pizza bake. 30 minutes are enough.
- You can prepare the pizza dough in advance and store it in the refrigerator for 24 hours or the freezer for up to 3 months by wrapping it in plastic wrap and a bag after it has risen enough. All you need to do is let the frozen dough thaw for 30 minutes at least, then carry on the rest of the steps.
Best Homemade Anchovy Pizza Recipe
For the pizza dough
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of dried yeast (1 packet)
- 1 cup of warm water (105-110°F (40-43°C))
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/3 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 cub of mozzarella cheese (cupped)
- 6 anchovy fillet
- ¼ cup of kalamata olives (sliced)
- ¼ medium sized red onion (finely sliced)
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- Basil and parmesan cheese for garnishing
- Activate the yeast by mixing the sugar, yeast, and warm water in a bowl. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes to make sure it’s active (it must form bubbles). Then add it to the flour, salt, and olive oil and mix together to form the dough.
- On a well-floured surface, transfer your dough and start kneading it till it’s soft and of a smooth consistency. It should take about 5 minutes of kneading.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl greased with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rest in a warm place for at least 30 minutes or until the size is doubled.
- Slice your red onions into thin slices. Cut the mozzarella cheese into cubes. Prepare the tomato sauce by mixing pureed tomatoes, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper together and leave them aside.
- When the dough is doubled in size, start spreading it on a floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Put the dough on the pizza stone or the baking tray and poke a few holes with a fork.
- Start spreading your tomato sauce on the pizza after brushing a thin layer of olive oil on the surface. Spread the mozzarella cubes generously, and on top, add the fine slices of onions, olives and capers.
- Bake the pizza in a preheated oven at 450°F for 8-10 minutes.
- Take your pizza out and add the anchovies on top, then put back in the oven for another 5 minutes or until edges are crusty enough and the cheese melts.
- On a wooden cutting board, transfer your pizza, sprinkle on top the basil and parmesan cheese with a drizzle of oil. Enjoy.
More Dinner Recipes
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.