Another mouth-watering recipe from the Japanese cuisine, made of raw Sashimi grade tuna and rice dressed with rice vinegar with wasabi sandwiched in between. An easy-to-make delicacy that will definitely uplift your mood and fill up all your sushi cravings!
Tips you need to consider when making this recipe:
- Using Japanese short-grain rice is highly recommended in this recipe, giving a fluffier outcome. Use the High-quality type with a 1:1 ratio with the water to maintain this fluffiness even after its compression in the roll.
- Make sure you have some Tezu water in a small bowl when rolling the sushi to prevent the rice from sticking to your fingertips. It’s fairly easy to make. You just need to mix 1/4 cup of water and 2 teaspoons rice vinegar together.
- Squeezing the rice into an oval shape and to the tuna slice decreases the chance of the sushi falling apart.
- Preferred tuna thickness is ¼-inch for optimum flavor and perfect shape.
- Make sure the tuna slices are sushi grade and have a fresh smell.
- You can substitute raw tuna with cooked one.
- Wasabi can be removed from the recipe. However, it allows the tuna slice to stick to the rice and enhance the overall flavor.
- When cutting the tuna, adjust the angle to 30 to 45 degrees to cut it into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Vegan nigiri can be made by substituting the tuna slice with carrots or tomato slices.
Tuna Nigiri Recipe
- 1 cup of sushi rice
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of sushi vinegar (optional) (Made by mixing 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt)
- 8 oz of sashimi gradetuna
- 2 teaspoons of wasabi
Optional for serving
- Soy sauce
- Pickled ginger
- Wash the rice well with cold water many times until the water is clear enough to remove all the excess rice starch. Proceed by adding the washed rice with the water in the rice maker and cook according to the instructions.
- Spread the cooked rice in a plate or a large bowl to cool slightly, but not completely, then mix in the sushi vinegar prepared from the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Leave them aside and start preparing the sushi rolls.
Preparation of the tuna
- Slice your tuna into¼-unch thick, 3-inch long, and 1-inch wide slices.
- Take 3 tablespoons of cooked rice with your hands, start shaping them into an oval with a straight bottom and rounded top. Make sure the rice is not completely squeezed, and there is still room for air.
- On the middle of the tuna slice, spread pea-sized wasabi piece, then place the oval-shaped rice on top. Squeeze with your index finger gently to allow them to stick together.
- Flip the sushi made so that the tuna slice facing the top. Serve the sushi pieces with soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger.
More Dinner Recipes
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.