Lardy cake is a sweet and rich traditional English tea cake made with layers of pastry and currants. With its soft dough texture and delicious flavor, it’s no wonder lardy cake is a favorite treat for many.
But can you freeze lardy cake to enjoy later? The short answer is yes! Freezing is an easy way to preserve fresh lardy cake so you can enjoy slices at a later date.
How to Freeze Lardy Cake
Freezing lardy cake is simple. Here are some tips for freezing lardy cake properly:
Slice the Cake first.
- Cut the lardy cake into individual slices or portions before freezing. This prevents you from having to thaw the entire cake when you want a piece.
- Wrap each slice well in plastic wrap, foil, or freezer bags. Make sure there is no air trapped inside. Air can cause freezer burn.
Use Freezer Bags or Airtight containers.
- Freezer bags or airtight containers are ideal for storing lardy cake slices. Make sure to remove as much air as possible before sealing.
- Label the containers with the contents and freeze date so you know how long they’ve been frozen.
Freeze Soon After Baking
- For best quality, freeze lardy cake within 1-2 days of baking. The fresher it is when frozen, the better it will taste when thawed.
- Rapidly freezing lardy cake locks in moisture and prevents freezer burn.
Freeze Individual slices.
- Freeze slices separately, with parchment paper between each slice. Now you can remove only as many slices as are needed at a time.
- Alternatively, wrap the entire cake and remove slices as needed. Defrost only what you will serve.
Store in the freezer6-8 Months
- Properly stored lardy cake lasts 6–8 months in the freezer before quality declines.
- Set your freezer to 0°F or below for the longest freezer life.
Following these tips will allow you to keep lardy cake fresh for several months, so you can enjoy it anytime!
Thawing Frozen Lardy Cake
When ready to serve, use these methods to properly thaw frozen lard cake:
Thaw Overnight in the fridge
- For best texture, thaw the lardy cake overnight in the refrigerator. This allows it to slowly thaw.
- Remove from freezer and place in an airtight container or rewrap in the fridge to thaw for 8–12 hours or overnight before serving.
Thaw at Room temperature.
- You can also leave frozen lardy cakes at room temperature to thaw. This takes 1-2 hours.
- Make sure it’s left unwrapped so the cake can thaw evenly. If the cake has been at room temperature for more than 2 hours, do not refreeze it.
Quick Thaw Option
- If short on time, thaw on the counter for 15 minutes, then finish thawing in a 350°F oven for 5–10 minutes until the center is soft.
- Don’t thaw lardy cakes in the microwave. This can dry it out. Thaw using the fridge, room temperature, or oven method only.
- Microwaving can also cause uneven thawing, leaving cold spots in the cake.
- Once thawed, serve the lardy cake immediately. Thawed cake will dry out if left at room temperature for too long.
- Avoid refreezing after thawing, as this damages the texture.
Follow these tips, and your frozen lardy cake will taste freshly baked when it’s ready to enjoy!
How to Store Thawed Lardy Cake
Once thawed, store leftover lardy cake properly to prevent it from drying out. Here’s how:
Store at Room temperature.
- You can store thawed, uncut lardy cake at room temperature, loosely covered, for 2–3 days.
- Keeping it loosely covered prevents the exterior from completely drying out.
Refrigerate the sliced cake.
- For sliced lardy cake, refrigerate in an airtight container. It will stay fresh for 3–4 days.
Freeze Slices Again
- Freeze any uneaten slices of lardy cake after thawing for later enjoyment.
- Double-wrap in plastic and foil and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw again as needed.
- Don’t store thawed lardy cake in an environment with excess moisture. This can cause mold.
Check for staleness.
- Check thawed cakes for signs of staleness like drying, mold, or off-smelling smells before eating. Consume within the recommended time.
With proper storage methods, leftover lardy cake will stay tasty and moist after thawing for a few days. Enjoy every last morsel!
Troubleshooting Frozen Lardy Cake
Follow these troubleshooting tips if your frozen lardy cake has any problems:
Dry, Crumbly Texture
- Freezer burn causes dry, crumbly cake. Use airtight packaging next time.
- Old, stale frozen cake also becomes dry. Enjoy within the recommended 6–8 months.
Ice Crystals Inside
- Large ice crystals mean the cake froze too slowly. Freeze rapidly next time.
- Can also indicate the freezer temperature is too warm. Set the freezer to 0°F or below.
- Thawing too quickly can create a mushy texture. Fully thaw in the refrigerator next time.
- Microwaving also causes mushiness. Always thaw lardy cake at room temperature or in the fridge instead.
- Ensure no air is trapped in the packaging. Air exposure causes freezer burns and mold.
- Only freeze fresh cake, not old, stale pieces. Stale cakes mold faster.
With proper freezing methods, your lardy cake slices should thaw looking and tasting freshly made. Follow the tips in this guide for the best results.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions about freezing lardy cake? Here are answers to some common queries:
How long does lardy cake last in the freezer?
Properly stored, lardy cake lasts 6–8 months in the freezer before quality and texture decline. Make sure to wrap it airtight.
Can you refreeze thawed lardy cake?
It’s not recommended to refreeze lardy cake after thawing, as the texture will degrade. Enjoy the thawed cake within 2–3 days.
What is the best way to thaw frozen lardy cake?
The best way is to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. This prevents a mushy texture. Thaw at room temperature for 1-2 hours if short on time.
How do you know if frozen lardy cake has gone bad?
Signs of spoiled frozen lardy cake include mold, a dry or mushy texture, an odd smell, and an expired best-by date (beyond 6–8 months).
Should you freeze lardy cake before or after decoration?
Freeze the lardy cake before decorating. The frosting or glaze won’t freeze well. Add those decorative touches after thawing.
Can you freeze unbaked lard cake dough?
Yes, lardy cake dough can be frozen for 2–3 months before baking. Thaw overnight in the fridge before baking as usual.
What is the best way to store thawed lard cake?
Keep leftover thawed cake at room temperature, covered, for 2–3 days. Refrigerate if sliced. Freeze extra slices.
Enjoy Delicious Lardy Cake any time.
Freezing is a great way to enjoy lardy cake fresh-tasting for months after baking. With proper freezer storage and thawing methods, your slices will be moist and flavorful when you’re ready to treat yourself.
Use this guide to confidently freeze lardy cake and thaw it safely, so you always have this classic tea cake at your fingertips.
Hi, I’m Julie, the passionate foodie and founder of Juliesfamilykitchen.com. I created this blog out of a drive to prove someone wrong, and then I realized how much I truly enjoy cooking and trying new recipes. In my free time, when I’m not running around after my kids or spending quality time with my partner, you can usually find me in the kitchen experimenting with new dishes.