Air fryers have become one of the most popular kitchen appliances in recent years. Their ability to make deliciously crispy foods using little to no oil is appealing to many home cooks. One common question about air fryers is whether you can use them to cook Hot Pockets.
What are Hot Pockets?
Hot Pockets are a type of pocket sandwich made with an outer crust that encases fillings like cheese, meat, or vegetables.
They are convenient frozen foods that can be heated in the microwave. Hot Pockets come in many varieties, including breakfast sandwiches, pizza, and pepperoni.
The crust of Hot Pockets is made to get crispy in the microwave or conventional oven. However, some people find that microwave heating can make the crust soggy.
This has led many to wonder if the air fryer can make Hot Pockets with that crispy outer crust we crave.
Benefits of Cooking Hot Pockets in an Air Fryer
There are a few potential benefits to cooking Hot Pockets in an air fryer versus the microwave:
- Crispier crust: The hot air circulating in the air fryer will crisp up the outer crust of the Hot Pocket. No more soggy bottoms!
- Less rubbery texture: Microwaves sometimes give Hot Pockets a rubbery, chewy texture. The air fryer can help avoid that.
- Faster cooking: Air fryers typically cook foods faster than conventional ovens. Hot Pockets will be ready in minutes.
- No preheating is required. Unlike the oven, air fryers start cooking instantly at the touch of a button.
For those seeking a quick and tasty Hot Pocket with a crispy crust, the air fryer is worth trying. The results are likely to be much better than those in the microwave.
How to Cook Hot Pockets in an Air Fryer
Cooking Hot Pockets in the air fryer is easy, but there are some tips to get the best results:
- Use frozen Hot Pockets; do not thaw them first, or the filling may leak out.
- Brush with egg wash: Brushing the crust with egg wash before cooking makes it crisper.
- Use a cooking rack. Sitting directly on the fryer basket can make the crust soggy. Elevate on a rack.
- Adjust the cooking time. Check a few minutes before the package time, as air fryers cook faster.
- Set the air fryer to 370°F. This temperature evenly crisps the Hot Pocket crust.
Follow these simple steps for perfect air-fried Hot Pockets:
- Brush frozen Hot Pockets with egg wash (1 egg + 1 tbsp water).
- Place on the cooking rack in the air fryer basket.
- Cook at 370°F for 6–9 minutes until hot and crispy.
- Let it stand for 2 minutes before eating.
Air Fryer Cooking Times for Different Hot Pockets
Cooking times can vary slightly depending on the size and filling of your Hot Pocket. Here are general air fryer guidelines:
- Standard Hot Pockets (3 oz.): 8–9 minutes
- Large Hot Pockets (5.5 oz): 10–12 minutes
- Breakfast sandwiches (3 oz.): 6–8 minutes
- Lean Pockets: 7-9 minutes
- Croissant Crust: 9–11 minutes
Check occasionally and adjust the cooking time if needed. Hot Pockets are done when the crust is crisp and the filling is piping hot.
Tips for the Best Air-Fried Hot Pockets
Here are some extra tips and tricks to take your air-fried Hot Pockets to the next level:
- Lightly spray or brush the fryer basket with oil for extra crispiness.
- Flip Hot pockets halfway through cooking for an evenly crisped crust.
- If the crust gets too dark, tent it with foil and finish cooking.
- Pair flavors: serve pizza Hot Pockets with marinara dipping sauce.
- Make sandwiches: stuff air-fried Hot Pockets into crusty rolls for hearty sandwiches.
- Personalize fillings: add extra cheese, spices, veggies, or condiments.
With the right techniques, air fryers can make deliciously crispy Hot Pockets in just minutes. So ditch the microwave for Hot Pocket perfection!
Frequently Asked Questions About Cooking Hot Pockets in Air Fryers
Can all Hot Pockets be cooked in an air fryer?
Yes, any type of Hot Pocket can be cooked in an air fryer. The air fryer works well with standard-crust Hot Pockets as well as croissant crust, lean pockets, breakfast pockets, and more.
Do you need to preheat an air fryer to cook Hot Pockets?
No preheating is required when cooking Hot Pockets in an air fryer. Simply place the frozen Hot Pocket in the air fryer and set the temperature as desired, usually 370°F. The air fryer will start heating immediately.
How long does it take to cook a Hot Pocket in an air fryer?
Cook times range from 6 to 12 minutes, depending on size. Standard 3-ounce hot pockets take about 8–9 minutes. Larger and specialty Hot Pockets may take 10–12 minutes to ensure the filling is thoroughly heated.
Should Hot Pockets be flipped during air-frying?
It’s a good idea to flip Hot Pockets over about halfway through cooking. This ensures the crust crisps evenly on top and bottom. Use tongs to carefully flip pockets while cooking.
Can Hot Pockets leak filling when cooked in an air fryer?
Yes, the filling may leak out if the Hot Pocket crust splits open. Be sure to use frozen Hot Pockets and don’t overfill per package instructions. Brushing crusts with egg wash can also help seal in the filling.
How do you keep Hot Pockets from getting soggy in an air fryer?
Using a cooking rack instead of sitting directly in the basket prevents sogginess. The rack allows air to flow all around the Hot Pocket. Also, don’t overcrowd; cook only 1 or 2 Hot Pockets at a time for best results.
Enjoy Deliciously Crispy Hot Pockets from Your Air Fryer!
Air frying makes it easy to achieve that perfect, crispy Hot Pocket every time. No more rubbery microwave disappointments! With the right tips and techniques, you can conveniently cook Hot Pockets to crispy perfection in your air fryer any night of the week.
Hi, I’m Julie, the passionate foodie and founder of Juliesfamilykitchen.com. I created this blog out of a drive to prove someone wrong, and then I realized how much I truly enjoy cooking and trying new recipes. In my free time, when I’m not running around after my kids or spending quality time with my partner, you can usually find me in the kitchen experimenting with new dishes.