Now the evenings are drawing in and there’s a little chill in the air at night, it’s lovely to come home to a bowl of comforting pasta. So when Sainsbury’s asked food bloggers to get creative using some of their SO Organic own label range for #OrganicSeptember, I thought it would be a good idea to make a Bolognese Pasta Bake. With over 250 SO Organic products available, there’s plenty to choose from. My Bolognese Pasta Bake has a rich and intense meaty bolognese sauce flavoured with Cabernet Sauvignon and oregano. It was a real success with all the family, so I’m pleased to be sharing it with you.
Bolognese Pasta Bake
2 small onions*
1 large carrot*
4 medium mushrooms*
1 tablespoon olive oil
500g mince beef (15% fat)*
150ml Cabernet Sauvignon* or other red wine
400g chopped tinned tomatoes*
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar*
Salt and black pepper
400g penne pasta*
50g mature cheddar cheese*
25g Parmesan cheese
*From the SO Organic range
1. Heat the olive oil in a large lidded casserole pan. Finely dice the onions and carrot, then sauté in the oil until beginning to soften.
2. Chop the mushrooms into quarter slices and then add to the pan. Add the mince beef and brown all over.
3. Add the wine and bring the bolognese to the boil, keep on a high heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
4. Then, add the chopped tomatoes, passata, balsamic vinegar and oregano. Season well with salt and black pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer with the lid partially on for 1 hour. Stir every so often to check it’s not catching on the bottom of the pan.
5. Meanwhile, cook the penne pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for about 8 to 10 minutes (you want the pasta under done).
6. Pre heat the oven to Fan 180c. Drain the pasta and add to the casserole pan of bolognese sauce, stir to combine. Grate the cheddar and Parmesan cheeses and then sprinkle on top. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the top begins to crisp. Enjoy with a green salad and a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon.
To make life a bit easier the pasta bake can be prepared earlier in the day and stored in the fridge until ready to bake. I’d suggest increasing the baking time to ensure it is heated through properly.
Until next time.
Disclosure: Sainsbury’s sponsored me to write this blog post and provided me with a selection of SO Organic ingredients. All opinions are honest and my own. The recipe is my own.
I’ve entered this recipe into #CookBlogShare at Supergolden Bakes.