Have you noticed how much I like cake, biscuits and cookies? It really is my weakness. Of course it goes without saying I’m a huge Great British Bake Off fan. As a self-taught home baker I’ve gained confidence in the kitchen and learnt a lot over the years. Although I’m not an expert these tips and cheats have helped improve my baking considerably.
Here’s my Top 10 Tips and Cheats for Baking Success.
1. If baking a cake ensure all your ingredients are at room temperature, take eggs and butter out of the fridge the night before or at least 2 hours before you begin baking.
2. To soften butter easily and quickly, put it in the microwave for 10 second blasts. It will probably only need to go in once or twice at the very most.
3. Invest in a silicone spatula, there’s no point baking if you can’t get all the mixture out of the mixing bowl.
4. Baking is a science, carefully weigh and measure your ingredients. Get yourself a set of digital scales with a spare battery, as the scales will not weigh accurately if the battery is low.
5. Always pre heat your oven your oven 10 minutes beforehand. It’s the first thing I do when I walk into the kitchen.
6. Get all your ingredients, mixer, scales, baking tins, cupcakes cases, baking parchment, spatulas, spoons, knife etc out ready, so you’re not hunting around the kitchen looking for stuff.
7. Read through the recipe from start to finish, that way you are less likely to forget something or misunderstand the recipe.
8. Remember basic hygiene practises, especially when handling raw eggs. Make sure the work surfaces are clean, especially if you are kneading bread dough and cutting out biscuits.
9. When baking a cake don’t open the oven door until the cake is at almost done according to the recipe, otherwise it will sink.
10. To test if a cake is cooked insert a metal cake tester into the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean it’s done. Alternatively, use a piece of dry (uncooked) spaghetti instead, it works really well.
I hope those tips and cheats are helpful, do let me know if you have any baking tips and cheats of your own.