This is one of those real comforting dinners that everyone enjoys. After all what’s not to like about beefy meatballs in a tasty tomato sauce, tossed in tagliatelle. When I serve this, meal times are stress free as everyone happily tucks in.
This recipe has evolved from my Beefy Meatballs with Bucatini Pasta recipe and as good as that recipe is I needed to adapt it to free up my time. So I thought why not try roasting the meatballs instead of standing at the hob pan frying them and it worked. So while the meatballs are roasting and the tomato sauce is simmering I’m free to do other things. In my busy house there’s always plenty to do.
Regular blog readers will know that I like to experiment with different pasta types however on this occasion I’ve gone for tagliatelle.
Ingredients (Serves 4 adults or 2 adults and 3 children)
500g lean mince beef
2 slices of wholemeal bread
1 tablespoon mixed herbs or Italian mixed herbs
1 large egg (beaten)
1 teaspoon of fine sea salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 x 400g chopped tinned tomatoes
1 small onion (finely chopped)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes (optional or amount according to taste)
Parmesan cheese (finely grated)
1. In a mini chopper or food processor whizz the bread until you get breadcrumbs.
2. In a large bowl mix together the mince beef, breadcrumbs, mixed herbs, salt, egg and a good grinding of black pepper. I tend to use my hands as it is easier to combine all the ingredients.
3. Once thoroughly combined take small chunks of the mixture and roll with your hands to get small meatballs about 3cm to 4cm in diameter. No need to be exact here but try to get them roughly the same size so they cook at the same time. Then set aside until needed in a non stick roasting tin.
4. To make the tomato sauce first heat the olive oil in a large heavy casserole pan and sauté the onions until soft.
5. Add the tinned tomatoes, dried oregano and a grinding of black pepper. Add the dried chilli flakes at this stage if you wish. I tend to add only 1/4 teaspoon of chilli flakes to half the tomato sauce, so the other half is chilli free and child friendly.
6. Bring to the boil and simmer until you have a lovely thick tomato sauce. Keep on a low heat stirring every now and again. Cook for approximately 30 minutes.
7. Meanwhile to cook the meatballs pre heat the oven to Fan 180c.
8. Drizzle over the olive oil then shake the pan so the meatballs are fully coated in the oil. Then roast the meatballs for 25 to 30 minutes until fully cooked through. Once cooked add to the tomato sauce.
9. Meanwhile, cook the tagliatelle in a large saucepan of salted boiling water, reserving a small cup of the cooking water for later.
10. Once cooked drain the tagliatelle and to the meatballs in tomato sauce along with a splash of the pasta cooking water. Heat through on the hob stirring continuously for about 30 seconds, then serve. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
Enjoy with crusty garlic bread and a leafy rocket salad. I’d love to know if you try out my Easy Roast Meatballs, so don’t forget to leave me a comment in the box below.
Until next time.