It’s only 5 weeks to Christmas, yes 5 weeks! Really, where has the time gone? I’m feeling quite good about my Christmas preparations, my Christmas cake is baked, my family have been invited for Christmas dinner and I’ve done about half of my Christmas shopping. This year I’m on track to get Christmas organised, stress free (I hope!).
I do love a good mince pie to put me in a festive frame of mind. Well to get into the spirit of all things festive, I rustled up these super Quick Puff Pastry Mince Pies and they went down a treat with everyone. They really are the ultimate cheat using shop bought puff pastry and mincemeat but no one need ever know! With so much to do around Christmas time, a few shortcuts and cheats makes life a little easier, don’t you agree?
Here’s my recipe for Quick Puff Pastry Mince Pies.
Ingredients (Makes 10)
375g ready rolled puff pastry
½ jar of mincemeat (I used half of a 411g jar)
½ tablespoon demerara sugar
1. Pre heat your oven to Fan 180c.
2. Remove the pastry from the packaging and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
3. Unroll the pastry and using a 7.5cm round pastry cutter cut out 20 pastry rounds.
4. Evenly space 10 pastry rounds on two non stick baking sheets, then place about 2 teaspoons of mincemeat in the centre of each.
5. Moisten the inside edge of the pastry rounds with a little water and place the remaining pastry rounds on top to form the mince pies.
6. Make an egg wash by beating the egg with a tablespoon of water. Brush the egg wash over the mince pies, then sprinkle with demerara sugar. Pierce each pie on the top in the centre with a knife to allow steam to escape.
7. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and puffed. Enjoy with a dollop of extra thick cream.
Until next time.