How to Make Key Lime Pie Recipe Without Condensed Milk
Learn how to efficiently and quickly make the delicious Key lime pie without the use of condensed milk.
For the Graham cracker crust:
- 1½ cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons of melted butter
For the key lime filling:
- 3 egg yolks
- A cup of sugar
- ¼ cup of key lime juice
- 2 teaspoons of finely grated key lime zest
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 4 tablespoon butter
For the Whipped Cream Topping:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Start by mixing all the crust ingredients together in a bowl.
Spread the mix on an 8" - 9.5" pie pan evenly to make the layer of crust. Transfer the pan to a preheated oven at 350F for 7 minutes. Leave the pan to cool for 30 minutes.
For the filling:
Beat together the egg yolks and sugar till the sugar dissolves and the mix is of smooth consistency.
Place the bowl containing the beaten eggs and sugar over a double boiler. Leave it to cook until the eggs double in size and become fluffy and paler in color.
Add in the heavy cream and butter. When the butter melts, add the Key lime juice and zest.
Spread the filling on the crust. Place the pie in the fridge for at least 3 hours to chill.
Whisk with a stand mixer the sugar and heavy cream together, then add the vanilla extract for final flavor. Beat till the whipped cream form.
Decorate your pie with the whipped cream and lemon zest.
- The egg whites remaining can be used for decoration after whisking them with ¼ teaspoon of cream of tartar and ½ cup powdered sugar till a firm texture is made. Spread over your pie. For extra fanciness, torch the egg whites layer to caramelize it.
- When making the fillings, if the consistency of the eggs with the rest of the ingredients is not firm enough, add 2 teaspoons of cornstarch and mix well. It should do the trick.
- Vanilla wafer can substitute the graham crackers for the crust.