This recipe specifically is my personal favorite from Japanese cuisine. It might seem like a regular sushi roll made of seafood, avocado, and cucumber rolled in seaweed sheet and sushi rice. However, the mouse watering, spicy, and delicious crab salad lava-like toppings give this regular sushi a whole new flavor!
Some important tips to consider when cooking this recipe
- Make sure to get a sushi rolling mat, highly available and very handy when making sushi rolls.
- Using Japanese short-grain rice is highly recommended in this recipe, giving a more fluffy outcome. Use the High-quality type with a 1:1 ratio with the water to maintain this fluffiness even after its compression in the roll.
- Using rice vinegar, sugar, and salt can add more flavor to your rice.
- Make sure you have some Tezu water in a small bowl when rolling the sushi to prevent the rice from sticking to your fingertips. It’s fairly easy to make. You just need to mix 1/4 cup of water and 2 teaspoons rice vinegar together.
- Squeezing the rolls while and after rolling them gently with your hands prevent the rolls from falling apart.
- The seafood filling is traditionally composed of crab meat. However, you are free to use imitation crab sticks, shrimp, scallops, even fish such as tuna, salmon, and yellow tail.
- The spicy, hot, and delicious flavor of the key ingredient in this recipe (the crab salad topping) is obtained from the Sriracha sauce or Sriracha mayo. You can adjust the spiciness to your taste with the amount of Sririacha added. Of course, you can use regular mayo for the non-spicy version of this recipe.
- You can toast the sesame seeds by adding them to a skillet on a medium flame and leave them to toast for 5 minutes to enhance released flavors.
Volcano Roll Sushi Recipe
- 1 ½ cup of sushi rice
- 1 ½ cup of water
- 1 ½ tablespoons of sushi vinegar (optional) (Made by mixing 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt)
For the crab salad topping
- 8 oz of imitation crab
- 6 oz of shrimp
- 1 cup of spicy mayo ( Made by mixing Sriracha sauce with mayo with a 1:2 ratio)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
For volcano roll sushi
- 2 sheets of nori seaweed
- 6 oz of imitation crab
- 1 avocado
- ½ cucumber cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seed (optional)
- masago or tobiko
- Spicy mayo
- Into a rice cooker, add your water and rice and let it cook according to the instructions. Transfer your rice after cooking to cool a bit, then add the rice vinegar while it’s relatively hot.
- Start making your seafood toppings by slicing the shrimps and crabs into small chunks.
- Transfer them into a bowl and sprinkle the salt and pepper with the spicy mayo. Mix them well.
- Transfer the mix to a baking tray, then put the tray into a preheated oven at 400°F (200°C). Let it bake for 10-15 minutes until it’s browned enough.
- Start making your sushi rolls by Spreading your rolling mat with a plastic wrap on top to easily clean up after.
- Separate each nori sheet into two halves using a pair of scissors. Lay each half on the rolling mat.
- On the nori sheet, put ¾ cup of the cooked rice. Wet your fingertips with tezu water before you start rolling the sheet.
- Pat the rice with your fingertips gently. Sprinkle some sesame seeds (optional)
- Flip the Nori sheet so that the rice layer is facing the rolling mat.
- Place all the fillings (crab, cucumber, and avocado)
- With your thumbs beneath the rolling mat, lift the edge above the fillings and start rolling it away from you, all while gently yet firmly pressing on the roll.
- Cut the roll into bite-sized pieces (about 8 pieces).
- Serve them on a plate and add on top freshly baked crab salad.
- Sprinkle some spicy mayo and tobiko or masago on top. ENJOY.
Related Dinner Recipes
The Best Easiest Crockpot Mississippi Roast
Snow Crab vs King Crab
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.