Texas toast is a thick-cut white bread that is popular for making garlic bread or for serving with dishes like chili. Its thickness makes it ideal for soaking up sauces and juices.
Many people wonder if you can make this versatile bread in an air fryer. Below, we’ll explore if and how you can cook Texas toast in an air fryer.
What is Texas Toast?
Texas toast is a type of packaged bread that is thicker and wider than regular sliced bread. It gets its name from the state of Texas, where this hearty bread is commonly served alongside foods like chili, barbeque, and breakfast dishes.
The main characteristics of Texas toast are:
- It’s extra thick, usually around 1-inch thick per slice.
- It has a crispy crust and a soft, airy interior.
- It is made from white bread dough, resulting in a mildly sweet flavor.
- It is sold pre-sliced and packaged in grocery stores.
- It can be used for making garlic bread, bruschetta, sandwiches, and more.
Due to its thickness, Texas toast has an appealing texture that soaks up sauces and juices well. The slices also have more surface area for applying things like garlic butter, cheese, and other toppings.
What is an Air Fryer?
An air fryer is a popular kitchen appliance that uses heated air and a convection fan to “fry” foods. The high-speed air circulation cooks food similar to a convection oven, making the food nice and crispy.
The benefits of air fryers include:
- Uses up to 80% less oil than a deep fryer.
- Cooks food crispy and evenly without flipping
- Quick preheat and cook times
- Easier cleanup than dealing with messy oil.
- Allows you to enjoy fried foods more healthfully.
Air fryers work best for cooking frozen foods like french fries, chicken, fish, and more. The air circulation gives foods a light crispiness. Many people use air fryers to make healthier versions of typically oil-laden dishes.
Can You Make Texas Toast in an Air Fryer?
Yes, you can absolutely make Texas toast in an air fryer! The air fryer’s convection heat will toast and crisp up the bread nicely.
There are a couple ways to go about cooking Texas toast in an air fryer:
1. Bake Plain slices.
- Pre-slice your Texas toast if it is not already presliced.
- Place a few slices of Texas toast into the air fryer basket. Make sure not to overcrowd.
- Set the air fryer to a standard baking temperature of around 350°F.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until lightly toasted on both sides.
This method gives you plainly toasted slices of Texas toast to use however you’d like. Feel free to add some garlic butter or brush with olive oil after cooking.
2. Make Garlic bread.
- Slice Texas toast and brush one side with butter or oil.
- Sprinkle on desired seasonings like garlic powder, parsley, and parmesan.
- Place the slices, seasoned-side up, into the air fryer.
- Cook at 350°F for 5 minutes until golden brown.
The air fryer perfectly toasts the bread and melts the garlic butter or oil for delicious garlic bread. You can even add shredded cheese on top during the last 1-2 minutes to make cheesy garlic bread.
3. Use as a pizza crust.
- Brush both sides of Texas toast slices with oil or butter.
- Place in the air fryer and bake at 375°F for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer and top with pizza sauce, cheese, and any toppings.
- Return to the air fryer and cook another 3–5 minutes until the cheese melts.
The Texas toast doubles as a quick and easy pizza crust when cooked in the air fryer. Feel free to get creative with your favorite pizza toppings too.
As you can see, the air fryer’s convection heat beautifully crisps and toasts the Texas toast in a matter of minutes. The toasted slices also hold up well when making fun creations like mini pizzas or garlic bread.
Tips for Cooking Texas Toast in an Air Fryer
Cooking Texas toast in the air fryer is easy, but here are some tips:
- Use thick-sliced Texas toast; regular sliced bread may dry out too much in the air fryer. The thicker slices hold up better.
- Brush with oil or butter. Lightly coating the bread helps it get crispy and golden brown.
- Don’t overcrowd. Allow space between slices for air circulation. Cook in batches if needed.
- Adjust cook times: larger or thinner air fryer models may cook faster than smaller ones. Check the toast a few minutes early.
- Use cooking spray. For bread cubes or garlic bread, spray the air fryer basket to prevent sticking.
- Allow for standing time. The inside of the toast will finish cooking from the residual heat. Let it stand for 1–2 minutes before serving.
Common Questions about Texas Toast in an Air Fryer
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions:
Is it better to toast the Texas toast before adding toppings?
Yes, it’s best to first toast plain slices of Texas toast in the air fryer before adding any butter, oil, or toppings. This ensures the bread gets crispy. Then you can brush with garlic butter or add toppings after the initial toast.
How long does it take to make Texas toast garlic bread in the air fryer?
It takes around 5 minutes at 350°F to toast plain slices of Texas toast in an air fryer. After that, brush with garlic butter, flip over, and cook another 2-3 minutes until the butter browns and the bread crisps. Keep an eye on it so the garlic doesn’t burn.
What temperature should I cook Texas toast pizza at?
For using Texas toast as a mini pizza crust, cook at 375°F. First, bake the plain slices for 5 minutes. Then remove, top with sauce and toppings, and cook another 3-5 minutes until the cheese melts. Higher heat prevents a soggy crust.
Should I flip the Texas toast halfway through cooking?
It’s not necessary to flip the slices since the air fryer circulates heat all around, but you can flip halfway for even crisping. Check often, as Texas toast can go from golden brown to burnt quickly.
Can I cook store-bought frozen Texas toast in an air fryer?
Yes, frozen Texas toast cooks up just as nicely in the air fryer! Add frozen slices in a single layer and cook at 350°F for approximately 5-7 minutes per side, adjusting time as needed.
Get Creative with air-fried Texas toast.
Beyond garlic bread and mini pizzas, there are so many ways to use Texas toast from your air fryer:
- Brush with olive oil, herbs, and parmesan for easy, cheesy bread.
- Top with marinara and mozzarella for air-fried tomato toast.
- Make BLTs on toasted Texas toast.
- Use it for breakfast sandwiches with fried eggs and cheese.
- Bake with cinnamon and sugar for a sweet treat.
- Bread and fry chicken or fish filets using Texas toast slices.
- Make Texas toast croutons for salads and soups.
The possibilities are endless for enjoying thick, toasted Texas toast straight from your air fryer. With its versatility and how quickly it cooks, Texas toast is sure to become a staple in your air fryer recipes.
Texas toast, with its thick cut and big slices, toasts up beautifully in the quick-heating air fryer. Feel free to bake up plain slices to use as needed, turn them into cheesy garlic bread, or get creative by making mini pizza bites.
Made in an air fryer, Texas toast becomes crispy on the outside while staying soft inside, making it ideal for soaking up dips and toppings.
Equipped with just a few slices of Texas toast and your air fryer, you can easily make appetizers, sides, sandwiches, and more.
Hi, I’m Julie, the passionate foodie and founder of Juliesfamilykitchen.com. I created this blog out of a drive to prove someone wrong, and then I realized how much I truly enjoy cooking and trying new recipes. In my free time, when I’m not running around after my kids or spending quality time with my partner, you can usually find me in the kitchen experimenting with new dishes.