It’s always a good day when I come across a new sushi recipe. But this is unlike any other sushi roll. It’s a healthy, with low cholesterol and saturated fats, vegan sushi roll. Made of baked sweet potato with soft and smooth ripped avocados rolled in sushi rice and nori sheets. And no, don’t worry, I am going to show you exactly how to roll the perfect sushi easily without any effort.
Some tips to consider when making this recipe:
- Using Japanese short-grain rice is highly recommended in this recipe, giving a fluffier outcome. Use the High-quality type with a 1:1 ratio with the water to maintain this fluffiness even after its compression in the roll. For softer rice, you can use the ratio of 1.2:1.
- Make sure you have some Tezu water in a small bowl when rolling the sushi to prevent the rice from sticking to your fingertips. It’s fairly easy to make. You just need to mix 1/4 cup of water and 2 teaspoons rice vinegar together.
- Squeezing the rolls while and after rolling them gently with your hands prevent the rolls from falling apart.
- You can cook the rice without the rice maker by putting your rice in a pot filled with cold water, leave the pot on medium heat till the water boil, then lower the heat and cover the pot with a lid. Leave it to cook for 8-10 minutes. The water will be absorbed. Close the heat and let it stand with the lid covered for 10-15 minutes till it becomes soft and fluffy.
Sweet Potato Sushi Roll (Easy Vegan Sushi Roll)
For the sushi rice
- 1 cup of sushi rice
- 1 cup of water
- 1 ½ tablespoon of sushi vinegar (optional) (Made by mixing 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt)
For the fillings
- 1 large sweet potato (choose the orange one)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 3 nori sheets
- 1 ripe avocado
- White toasted sesame seeds
Optional for serving
- Soy sauce
- Wash the rice well with cold water many times until the water is clear enough to remove all the excess rice starch. Proceed by adding the washed rice with the water in the rice maker and cook according to the instructions.
- Spread the cooked rice in a plate or a large bowl to cool slightly, but not completely, then mix in the sushi vinegar prepared from the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Leave them aside and start preparing the sushi rolls.
Baking the sweet potatoes
- Clean and peel your sweet potato. With a sharp knife, start slicing it into 2-inch thick strips.
- Mix the strips thoroughly with olive oil and put them on a baking tray.
- Bake the sweet potato for 25 minutes. Wait for them to cool and start making your rolls.
Making the sushi rolls
- Start making your sushi rolls by Spreading your rolling mat with a plastic wrap on top to easily clean up after.
- Cut the first 1/3 of the nori sheet with scissors and remove it. Keep the 2/3 of the sheet and place it on the bamboo mat with the shinning surface facing down.
- On the nori sheet, put ¾ cup of the cooked rice. Wet your fingertips with tezu water before you start rolling the sheet. Make sure the rice form a thin sheet. Don’t compress the rice with your fingers.
- Add the fillings, start by spreading the sesame seeds on the rice, then add the sweet potato strips and the avocado slices. Don’t overfill it.
- With your thumbs beneath the rolling mat, lift the edge above the fillings and start rolling it away from you, all while gently yet firmly pressing on the roll.
- After removing the bamboo mat and creating the perfect cylindrical sushi roll. With a sharp knife, cut the roll into equal-sized pieces (about 6-8 pieces)
- Serve with wasabi and soy sauce.
Related Dinner Recipes
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.