No more take-outs. You will make your own sushi rolls from now on. I present to you another easily made, mouth-watering seafood sushi recipe that comes all the way from Japan. For all the spicy lovers out there, this sushi roll is made of shredded kani crab sticks covered in spicy sriracha mayo, rolled in nori sheets, and fluffy rice inside-out.
Some important tips for this recipe:
- Using Japanese short-grain rice is highly recommended in this recipe, giving a fluffier outcome. Use the High-quality type with a 1:1 ratio with the water to maintain this fluffiness even after its compression in the roll. For softer rice, you can use the ratio of 1.2:1.
- Make sure you have some Tezu water in a small bowl when rolling the sushi to prevent the rice from sticking to your fingertips. It’s fairly easy to make. You just need to mix 1/4 cup of water and 2 teaspoons rice vinegar together.
- Squeezing the rolls while and after rolling them gently with your hands prevent the rolls from falling apart.
- Canned crab sticks contain a lot of moisture so make sure you squeeze it well before you fill the sushi roll with it.
How to Make Spicy Kani Roll Sushi (Spicy Crab Roll)
For the sushi rice
- 1 cup of sushi rice
- 1 cup of water
- 1 ½ tablespoon of sushi vinegar (optional) (Made by mixing 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt)
For the spicy mayo
- 3 teaspoons of mayonnaise
- 1 ½ teaspoon of sriracha sauce
For the spicy kani roll
- 4 oz of kani crab meat( imitation, canned crab, or you can use real cooked ones)
- 2 nori sheets
- 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame seeds
- Wash the rice well with cold water many times until the water is clear enough to remove all the excess rice starch. Proceed by adding the washed rice with the water in the rice maker and cook according to the instructions.
- Spread the cooked rice in a plate or a large bowl to cool slightly, but not completely, then mix in the sushi vinegar prepared from the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Leave them aside and start preparing the sushi rolls.
Making the spicy sriracha mayo and the crab salad
- Control the spiciness of the mayo by modifying the amount of the sriracha added. In a small bowl, just mix together the mayo and the sriracha. Set it aside.
- With two forks, start shredding the crab meat into small pieces. Mix in the spicy mayo.
Spicy crab roll
- Start making your sushi rolls by Spreading your rolling mat with a plastic wrap on top to easily clean up after.
- Separate each nori sheet into two halves using a pair of scissors. Lay each half on the rolling mat.
- On the nori sheet, put ¾ cup of the cooked rice. Wet your fingertips with tezu water before you start rolling the sheet. Make sure the rice form a thin sheet. Don’t compress the rice with your fingers.
- Spread the sesame seeds on top of the rice.
- Flip the nori sheet so that it’s facing you and the rice is facing the bamboo mat.
- On the middle of the nori sheet, add the crab salad.
- With your thumbs beneath the rolling mat, lift the edge above the fillings and start rolling it away from you, all while gently yet firmly pressing on the roll.
- Cut your roll into bite-sized pieces on a cutting board.
- Serve with some spicy mayo as a side for dipping. Enjoy.