A love affair between pancetta and pasta! This is just one of the many pasta recipes I will share with you. I can’t live without two ingredients; this is my kind of perfect match. A pantry staple.
Pancetta is a good source of flavor as it contains a lot of fat, and as we all know “fat is flavor”. Sometimes I omit the pancetta for no guilt pasta days.
I just stick with mushroom and spinach as it’s also packed with good health benefits and still contains flavor. My husband and the kids still love this.
For this recipe, I added chili flakes to spice it up a little bit. Use chili flakes according to your spice level and discard if you are serving this for your kids.
Spaghetti With Mushroom, Spinach and Pancetta Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 200g whole wheat spaghetti
- 100g cubetti di pancetta
- 125g mushrooms (peeled and quarter sliced)
- 60g frozen spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- Black pepper
- Parmesan cheese (grated)
- Using a casserole pan, sauté the pancetta until it crisp.
- Add the mushrooms and oregano, then stir together. Cook until mushroom is soft.
- Add the diced tomatoes, spinach, chili flakes, and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover partially with the lid. Simmer for 20 minutes with gradual stirring to break down the spinach.
- Using another pot with salted boiling water, cook the spaghetti noodles until al dente. Reserve a cup of pasta water then drain the spaghetti.
- Transfer the cooked spaghetti to the cooked sauce and add a little of the reserved pasta water.
- While still on the heat, stir for 30 seconds until everything is combined.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese on top if preferred.