What’s better than the delicious, mouth-watering Japanese sushi, made of a tiny piece of wasabi sandwiched by a fresh sashimi-grade salmon piece and the high quality, fluffy, flavorful, and vinegary Japanese rice.
Some tips to consider when making this recipe
- Using Japanese short-grain rice is highly recommended in this recipe, giving a fluffier outcome. Use the High-quality type with a 1:1 ratio with the water to maintain this fluffiness even after its compression in the roll.
- Make sure you have some Tezu water in a small bowl when rolling the sushi to prevent the rice from sticking to your fingertips. It’s fairly easy to make. You just need to mix 1/4 cup of water and 2 teaspoons rice vinegar together.
- Squeezing the rice into an oval shape and to the salmon slice decreases the chance of the sushi falling apart.
- You can substitute raw salmon with grilled or smoked ones.
- Wasabi can be removed from the recipe. However, it allows the salmon slice to stick to the rice and enhance the overall flavor. It also aids in killing the bacteria in raw salmon.
- When cutting the salmon, adjust the angle to 30 to 45 degrees to cut it into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Choose the farmed Atlantic salmon or Alaskan salmon for this recipe as wild salmon is better not eaten raw.
Salmon Nigiri (How to Make Salmon Sushi)
- 1 cup of sushi rice
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of sushi vinegar (optional) (Made by mixing 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt).
For the salmon nigiri
- 8 oz of sashimi-grade salmon
- 2 teaspoons of wasabi
Optional for serving
- Soy sauce
- Pickled ginger
- Wash the rice well with cold water many times until the water is clear enough to remove all the excess rice starch. Proceed by adding the washed rice with the water in the rice maker and cook according to the instructions.
- Spread the cooked rice in a plate or a large bowl to cool slightly, but not completely, then mix in the sushi vinegar prepared from the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Leave them aside and start preparing the sushi rolls.
Preparation of the salmon nigiri
- Slice your salmon into ¼-inch thick, 3-inch long, and 1-inch wide slices.
- Take 3 tablespoons of cooked rice with your hands, start shaping them into an oval with a straight bottom and rounded top. Make sure the rice is not completely squeezed, and there is still room for air.
- On the middle of the salmon slice, spread pea-sized wasabi piece, then place the oval-shaped rice on top. Squeeze with your index finger gently to allow them to stick together.
- Flip the sushi made so that the salmon slice facing the top. Serve the sushi pieces with soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger.
Try more delicious dinner recipes
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.