Here’s a new and easy-to-make at-home recipe from the Peruvian kitchen. It’s a simple yet delicious dish made of French fries and beef sausages merged together in a heavenly dish. It’s so easy to make and perfect for any gathering, game night, or even a party!
Some tips to consider when making this recipe:
- Leaving the potato strips in cold water allows water to wash off all the excess starch making the fries crispier. Also, double frying the potatoes gives a much crispier outcome.
- The temperature of the oil is an important factor that needs to be controlled for the best French fries.
- When frying the potato strips, make sure the pan is not overcrowded. Fry them in batches if necessary.
- Baking the fries instead of deep frying them will give you a healthier alternative. However, they won’t be crispy.
- You can substitute beef sausages for pork, chicken sausages, or hotdogs.
How to Make Salchipapas Recipe
All the ingredients needed for this recipe
- 2 russet potatoes
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Salt and pepper to taste ( you can use salt only)
- 6 beef sausages
Optional for serving
- Garlic Aoili
To make the best French fries
- Start by slicing the washed and peeled potatoes into 1/2 –inch thin strips.
- Leave the potato strips in a bowl filled with cold water for at least an hour. It is preferred to leave it overnight.
- Wash the potato strips twice with cold water. With paper towels, dry each strip well. Into a hot boiling oil at 325 degrees, put your dried strips to fry. Leave the potato strips for 3 minutes or until they are soft, then take them off the oil into paper towels to draw off the extra oil.
- Return the fries back in the hot oil after raising their temperature to 400 degrees. Fry them for 3-5 minutes until they are crispy and golden brown.
- Take them off the oil onto some paper towels. Sprinkle some salt while they are still hot.
- Start preparing your sausages by cutting them into bite-sized pieces.
- Transfer the sausage pieces to a hot pan on medium heat.
- Leave them to cook for 10-15 minutes while occasionally flipping each piece to make sure it’s cooked from all sides.
Assembling the dish
- Mix in the French fries with the cooked sausages in the pan.
- Serve the dish with the sauces on the side. Enjoy!