Although the Popeye franchise is known for their delicious, mouth-watering fried chicken, yet, they have this amazing secret side dish called Popeye’s biscuits. I know it sounds skeptical, but trust me, their signature biscuits are one of the best, if not the best biscuits I have ever tasted. It’s flaky, it’s buttery, it’s sweet and overall amazing!
- Avoid over mixing of the dough as we don’t want a chewy biscuit.
- It’s important to use cold butter and buttermilk, so remove them from the fridge just before adding them to the dry ingredients.
- When arranging the biscuits in the baking sheet, align them so that they are slightly touching each other. This will allow them to rise nicely while baking.
- The addition of the buttermilk on top will result in a crispy and golden brown top.
- If you use a cast-iron skillet the resulting biscuit will be even more crispy.
Frequently asked questions:
What are exactly the popeye’s biscuits?
These biscuits are southern classic, made of simple ingredients resulting in buttery and crispy biscuits that can be enjoyed as a side with the fried chicken or even with jam as a dessert.
Are popeye’s biscuits dry?
Generally, they may be considered dry. However, you can cook them to your preferred softness.
Are these biscuits deep fried?
Not really no, they are baked in the oven till they become crispy and golden brown.
Do popeye’s biscuits taste good?
Well, it’s buttery, crispy, filled with buttermilk flavor. I would say these biscuits are pretty good, especially when they shape them according to different occasions like heart-shaped on National Buttermilk Biscuit Day.
Can I reheat my biscuits?
Yes, you can easily reheat it. Just line the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Transfer the baking sheet to a preheated oven at 350F for 5-7 minutes. Take it out and brush each biscuit with melted butter. Leave them to cool and enjoy.
Are these biscuits vegan?
Originally they are not vegan. However, you can substitute the butter with any plant-based margarine and add vinegar on soy milk or almond milk instead of using buttermilk and you will have yourself a vegan alternative to the original recipe.
How many calories do popeye’s biscuits have?
In the original popeye biscuit, there are 240 calories per biscuit. However, in this recipe, each one contains 138 calories only.
How to Make Popeyes Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 6 tablespoons of cold cubed unsalted butter
- ¾ cup of cold buttermilk
- Optional melted butter for the topping of the biscuits
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- On the dry ingredients, add the cold butter cubes, mash them with the dry ingredients using a potato masher so that no large chunks are remaining.
- Pour in the cold buttermilk and fold the batter with a spatula to mix everything together.
- Flour any smooth surface and transfer the dough to it. Knead the dough with your hands for a few minutes, shape it into a rectangle then fold it into thirds.
- Repeat this process again by flattening the dough again into a rectangle and folding it into thirds.
- Flatten the dough into 1/2 –inch thick rectangle and cut it using a biscuit cutter into 2.5-inch pieces till you have yourself 12-14 biscuits.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, arrange your biscuits in the baking sheet, wipe the top of each biscuit with buttermilk.
- Transfer the baking sheet into a preheated oven at 450°F for 15-17 minutes to bake.
- When they become golden brown, remove from the oven, brush with melted butter, leave them to cool for a few minutes. Enjoy.