Fortunately for all the buttercream frosting lovers out there, buttercream frosting can in fact be easily frozen!
I know the struggle of making buttercream frosting. Don’t get me wrong. Buttercream is freaking delicious and I am totally addicted to it. A cake isn’t a cake without some rich and flavorful buttercream frosting on top. However, sometimes the tremendous effort spent into making buttercream frosting can be a bit discouraging sometimes.
That’s why, you can imagine how thrilled I was when I found out how easy and successful it is to freeze buttercream frosting. The most important thing is to protect your buttercream from freezer burns and prevent it from absorbing any of the surrounding smells. A few simple precautions will be tackled in details throughout the article.
How to freeze buttercream frosting?
Before we go on with the step-by-step guide to freezing buttercream. Keep in mind that the sooner you freeze the buttercream frosting, the fresher and more delicious it will be.
- Start by giving the buttercream frosting a final good stir with your spatula.
- Place a freezer bag inside a large cup, then fold its edges so that you can easily pour the buttercream frosting inside it.
- Pour your frosting inside of the bag. Release as much of the air as you can before you tightly seal the freezer bag.
- Label the freezer bag with the date and the contents of the bag so that you can distinguish it from all the other food in the freezer.
- You can flatten the freezer bag before placing it in the freezer so that it doesn’t take up too much space.
How long can buttercream frosting stay in the freezer?
It can last in the freezer for up to 3 months without any change in taste or texture.
How can I prolong the freezing period of the buttercream frosting?
The new food saver is having all the hyper nowadays. It is so amazing once you actually try it. The food saver works by releasing all the excess air from the freezer bag or the containers. In addition to tightly sealing your freezer bags. That way, you won’t have to worry about freezing your food. This will surely protect your food from freezer burns and surrounding smells as much as possible.
Make sure to acquire one of these cool devices.
How can I use the frozen leftover buttercream frosting?
Once you have frozen your buttercream frosting leftover and you want to use it. There are a few steps you will need to follow to successfully defrost your frosting back to its normal state:
- Transfer the freezer bag containing the frozen buttercream frosting from the freezer to the fridge and allow it to slowly defrost overnight in the fridge. This is the safest way to thaw your cream-based buttercream without risking bacterial contamination.
- Once it completely defrosts, transfer it to a bowl.
- Don’t worry if you have noticed a slight separation of the mixture. Stir it well. It should be reincorporated.
- When the buttercream frosting warms to room temperature, decorate your cake with it. It should be exactly like the freshly made one.
Frequently asked questions:
Here is a list of questions that might be on your mind:
Can you refreeze buttercream?
The more times you try to freeze your buttercream frosting, the more the texture will be affected. That’s why, I don’t recommend attempting to refreeze your buttercream frosting.
Can you freeze buttercream covered cakes?
Although, it might sound more tempting to freeze the whole iced cake, yet, it is far more practical and successful to freeze the icing apart from the cake. Buttercream frosting almost always requires a good whisk after freezing to bring it back to its original texture. That’s why, freezing it separately will provide you with the option to whisk it before decorating your cake.
Does buttercream freeze well?
It freezes extremely well. You will hardly notice any difference between the previously frozen buttercream frosting and the freshly made one.
Can you freeze Royal Icing?
Yes. You can absolutely freeze royal icing. Just follow the same steps mentioned above and you will have yourself a nicely frozen frosting.
Can You Freeze Bolognese Sauce?
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.