Yes. You definitely can eat freeze-dried food without water. In fact, it is one of my most enjoyed snacks of all time. The taste is almost always intensified, as well as, the fact that it is so crispy and crunchy.
I personally think freeze drying process is the best option and one of the best food preservation methods to maintain your fresh meat fresh food, and fresh fruit for future use.
I mean, have you heard about freeze-dried ice cream, or any of the just-add-water meals?
How is freeze-dried food made?
Freeze-drying process, also called sublimation is sometimes confused with dehydration process. However, the biggest difference is that, food is dried by a certain technique that relies on exposing food to a low temperature and a certain pressure at the same time so that the extra water particles inside the food freezes, then evaporates after being frozen directly without passing through the liquid phase.
While the food itself holds its shape and form in a solid state.
Sublimation forces moisture content in food to go from 90% to 2% through first, cooling the food, then flash freezing it, crystallizing the water content so that when it is re-exposed to heat it will directly evaporate, leaving only about 2% of water left.
This is especially beneficial in preserving your food, as well as, decreasing its water weight. Freeze-dried meals with their light weight are easier to be transported and shipped. When they are rehydrated, they easily turn back to their original form with their authentic flavor.
Although it can be consumed as such, keep in mind that eating freeze-dried food can increase the liability of dehydration and thirst if you are not well prepared prior to or after consuming it. Since it tends to readily reabsorb the surrounding water.
So in order to avoid common symptoms of dehydration like weakness, dizziness, or constipation, just drink plenty of water after consuming freeze-dried food.
What are the disadvantages of freeze-drying?
- It is generally a slow process.
- Not always appreciated by people because of its dry or foamy texture.
- Long term storage requires airtight containers, mylar bags, or mason jars.
- Can cause thirst and dehydration.
- Not suitable for all kinds of food.
Here are a couple of quick freeze-dried food recipes that I find extra amazing:
Freeze-Dried Vegetable and Noodle Soup
Easy, quick and highly nutritious:
- 2 cups of dried pasta
- 1 cup of freeze-dried vegetables
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- 1 teaspoon of parsley
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- A pinch of salt and pepper
Steps of making:
- Start by blending your freeze-dried vegetables into flakes. Leave them aside.
- Place all your spices (basil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper) into a pot filled with water and allow it to boil.
- When the water is brought to a boil, add in your pasta.
- Once everything is mixed and incorporated together, add your vegetable flakes and allow the pasta soup to simmer for 5 minutes. Serve while it is still hot.
Freeze-Dried Blueberry Muffins
A light and delicious snack to go
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of butter
- 1 ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ cup of freeze-dried blueberries
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Steps of making:
- Start by mixing your flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Into another separate bowl, mix your eggs, vanilla, butter and milk until a homogenous mixture is formed.
- Mix both your wet and dry ingredients together portion by portion, until they are incorporated together. Add in your freeze-dried blueberries.
- Pour and spread your mixture into a greased muffin tin. Place the pan into a preheated oven at 375ºF. Allow them to bake for 25-35 minutes until they are golden brown.
Frequently asked questions:
Here are a list of questions and their answers that I came across when I was searching through the topic of freeze-dried food.
Can you get food poisoning from freeze dried food?
If freeze-dried food is left without hydration, then it is highly unlikely to be contaminated by bacteria. This only happens when freeze-dried food is exposed to water and left for some time.
Does freeze-dried food expand in your stomach?
Yes. Especially, because the dry form of freeze-dried fruits or any freeze-dried food readily absorbs surrounding water to gain back its original form. But, don’t worry. It doesn’t pose any health risk other than some bloating.
Is freeze-dried the same as dehydrated?
Freezing drying causes a much more moisture loss than normal dehydrated foods. This is one of the main differences between both processes. About 98-99% of the original water content. This causes freeze-dried food to last for a longer time than any other form of storage.
Can freeze dried food cause botulism?
Nope. Freeze drying is different from canning. In fact, freeze drying is a good way for long-term storage of your food supply. Expiration dates can extend for up to 15 – 25 years without any risk of bacterial contamination.
Can freeze dried food make you sick?
Generally speaking, it is highly unlikely. Since common food pathogens like salmonella, E. coli, giardia, and norovirus become dormant through the process of freeze drying, so highly unlikely to cause any health hazard. Keep in mind, that highly acidic mediums such as tomato sauce are not favored by food pathogens.
Is eating freeze-dried food healthy?
Freeze drying not only keeps the original form of your food, but it also retains its original nutritional value intact to a very high degree. 97%. So if your freeze-dried food is fresh, then expect it to be beneficial.
Do you have to rehydrate freeze dried dog food?
Rehydrating freeze-dried food is a good thing for pet food or even real meats, especially when it comes to dried dog food. However, serving it as such is perfectly fine as well. Just a splash of water rehydrate your dehydrated meals and you are good to-go.
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.