Lasagna is already a pretty known dish worldwide that needs no further introduction. What does, however, is this particular unique ‘roll up’ form of lasagna. Suitable for parties, get together, or just an easy snack.
What’s cool about this dish, in particular, is the various different fillings we can use with this recipe, suiting everybody’s taste!
Besides the delicious, fulfilling taste of this dish, it can also be stored before or after their baking in the freezer. You just need to line them in a container with enough space between each one, and whenever you feel like eating them, just let them out of the freezer to warm up before putting them in the oven to heat.
How to make easy lasagna roll ups?
First, you’re going to need lasagna pasta sheets. You are free to use the ‘Boil’ or ‘No boil’ type.
In the case of using ‘No boil’ pasta sheets, you will still have to put the pasta sheets in warm water on the stove and leave them till they are soft enough to be rolled. As for the ‘Boil’ type, cook them till they are al dente.
Make sure they’re not completely cooked, as they will later on go into the oven for another 45 minutes
-To stop them from further cooking than you need, you have to remove them from their water and wash them with cold water, then spread them apart till the next step.
Now for the fun part. The fillings!
This recipe is pretty flexible when it comes to fillings. We can use:
- Veggie cheesy lasagna filling, which is basically made up of a mix of different cheese types. You can use whatever cheese you prefer, but for me, Ricotta, Parmesan, and Mozzarella cheese were the best combination. Specifically whole-milk Ricotta and freshly grated parmesan. Both together with mozzarella on top of the lasagna roll-ups gave the best possible outcome!
- As for the veggie part; Zucchini, shiitake mushrooms, or baby spinach go so well with this mix of cheeses.
Another alternative for all the meat lovers is the:
Meat Lasagna Roll-Ups. You can use any type of meat you like, even sausages, in the same way as regular lasagna, but in a roll-up form, retaining the heavenly, delicious taste of the conventional lasagna!
Steps of making
- When the lasagna sheets are soft enough for rolling, you will first need to spread the pasta sheet on the counter and add on 1/3 of a cup of the filling on 2/3 of each pasta sheet. Then roll up one end of each pasta sheet till reaching the other end.
- Prepare your baking glass dish by spreading on a cup of marinara sauce, creating a bed for the roll-ups.
- Proceed by lining up your roll-ups on the sauce beside each other. Make sure to lay each roll-up on its exposed end to avoid their opening when baking them.
- Cover the roll-ups with some marinara sauce and scatter the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Now they are ready for baking!