Easter is right around the corner and this is a great treat to try cooking with kids.
These little chocolate cupcakes are super fun for decorating. Our recipe for Easter-themed cupcakes is topped with sweet ‘nested’ eggs and vibrant green grass giving the Easter holiday feel!
For this recipe, we use cocoa and vanilla for tasty easter cupcake flavors. The batter is super quick to throw together. It includes buttermilk which gives a really light and fluffy texture to the sponge.
Now for the fun part, decorate the cupcakes with our smooth buttercream frosting, piped to resemble vibrant green grass. We use our favorite Cadbury’s Mini Eggs on top.
This time of year, there is always at least a few bags in the cupboard. Get even more creative and shave some chocolate over the cupcakes to resemble a bird’s nest. They don’t only taste fantastic but look it too!
Chocolate Cupcakes - Perfect cupcakes for easter
- - Chocolate sponge cupcakes
- 160g unsalted butter (very soft)
- 160g golden caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 130g self raising flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- - Chocolate Buttercream
- 100g dark chocolate (54% cocoa solids)
- 100g unsalted butter (very soft)
- 200g icing sugar (sifted)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- - Decoration
- 1 bag of Cadbury’s Mini Eggs
- 8 small or 4 regular size Cadbury’s Flakes
- Creme Eggs and little furry chicks not compulsory but totally cute
- Preheat oven to 160ᵒC - 180ᵒC with fan.
- Line the muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- To make the cupcake: Using a mixing bowl, place all the cupcake ingredients and mix until fluffy and well combined.
- Using a spoon, add the mixture in the muffin tin and bake for 25 minutes until springy to touch.
- Leave the cupcakes in the tin for another 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream: Melt the chocolate over a bain-marie or in the microwave then let it cool.
- Using a mixing bowl, combine the butter and icing sugar, then add stir in the melted chocolate. Lastly, add in the milk.
- In a bowl, crumble the flakes, and using a flat spatula, spread the chocolate buttercream on top of the cupcake and dip in the chocolate flakes to create a bird's nest effect.
- Top with 2 or 3 mini eggs. Enjoy!