If you’re looking for a delicious, flavorsome, and at the same time crispy game night snack. Look no further. This is the oven-baked chicken gizzards, which will spare you all the messy troubles of deep frying them and will result in a much lighter and healthier alternative.
Chicken gizzards are a unique meat cut that’s rich in protein and vitamins, highly satisfying and fulfilling.
All you need to do is to thoroughly boil them for them to cook and tenderize well, then transfer them to the oven to become crispy.
Some tips to consider when making this recipe:
- Any leftovers can be reheated at 400°F (200°C) hot oven for 15 minutes.
- Ensure that the chicken gizzards are thoroughly cleaned, whether it’s from a local butcher or pre-cleaned from the market.
- You can marinate the chicken pieces in buttermilk for 8 hours instead of boiling them. Both ways will ensure proper tenderization.
- Panko breadcrumbs are highly recommended instead of regular breadcrumbs, as they are crispier and color better.
What Are Crispy Oven Fried Chicken Gizzard Recipe
For the chicken gizzards
- 1 pound of chicken gizzards
- Oil spray
Bread crumbs mixture
- 2 Cups of panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
For the batter
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tablespoon of mustard (you can use any type of mustard)
Optional for serving
- Hot sauce for dipping
- Chopped parsley
- Clean each chicken piece thoroughly and remove the excess fat and gristle left.
- Cut each piece in half. Transfer the pieces to a pan filled with water. Put the pan on the stove and wait till the water starts boiling, then lower the heat and let them cook for about an hour. Check the water level occasionally to make sure it’s covering the chicken.
- Mix all the batter ingredients in a separate bowl thoroughly.
- Prepare the breadcrumbs mixture in another bowl by mixing the garlic powder and the panko breadcrumbs.
- When the gizzards are tender enough, cover each piece well with the breadcrumbs mixture and try to press the cover down to make sure it’s well coated. Align them in a baking tray using tongs. Spray some oil on top.
- Transfer the baking tray to a preheated oven at 400°F (200°C). Leave it to bake for 15 minutes. Don’t forget to flip them halfway through.
- Before you take them off the oven. Leave them under the broiler for 1-2 minutes with close monitoring, so they wouldn’t burn.
- Serve them up with some chopped parsley and hot sauce on the side.