Yes, you can freeze almond milk!
The most asked question is if you can freeze almond milk. Due to its short shelf life, storing almond milk has been a hassle. However, you can freeze it to keep it for a more extended period. Fresh almond milk can be kept fresh for 7–10 days. It is advised to use your frozen almond within 3-6 months.
Over the years, almond milk has grown in popularity. Thanks to various vitamins, calcium, magnesium, and other antioxidants, this plant-based milk is rich in creamy texture and nutty flavor.
With its ideal nutritional value and fewer calories, this milk is the best option for low-caloric ice cream. If you have lactose intolerance, this vegan-friendly drink is lactose-intolerant.
Don’t worry if you got leftover almond milk, we got some best ways for you to keep it fresh. Either homemade almond milk or store-bought almond milk, these tips and tricks are best for both.
Best Ways To Freeze Almond Milk
Some of the best-recommended ways to freeze your almond to keep it fresh beyond its expiration date are the following
- Freezing the almond milk in ice cube trays
- Freezing the almond milk in a freezer-safe container
Freezing Almond Milk In Ice Cube Trays
Using an ice tray is a great way to freeze almond milk. Besides being the easiest way and most convenient way, the best thing about it is that it will give you the desired amount of almond milk. For the freezing process, we recommend a silicon ice cube tray because it is easy to take them out.
Follow these simple steps to freeze your almond milk.
- Fill the ice tray with your almond milk. It is recommended to pour three-quarters.
- Put the tray in the freezer. The freezing process takes about 3 – 4 hours. You can put them in overnight to avoid any mess.
- Once frozen, take the almond milk cubes out of the ice tray.
- Put the almond milk ice cubes in the ziplock freezer bag. Make sure it is airtight.
- After transferring the frozen cubes, write the date on the plastic bags to make sure you are not drinking almond milk beyond its expiration date.
Freezing Almond Milk In A Freezer-safe Container
If you have fresh almond milk in large amounts, the best way is to freeze it in an airtight container. Make sure the container of almond milk is freezer-safe and airtight.
For this freezing method, follow the following simple steps to get frozen almond milk:
- Pour the fresh almond milk into an airtight container. Make sure not to fill it to the brim. Almond milk has a greater water content than normal cow’s milk. It expands on freezing. It is best to portion it because the thawed almond milk cannot freeze again. (for the desired amount of almond milk)
- Seal the container of almond milk, and make sure it is airtight. This prevents the milk from getting a bad odor and spoiling.
- Put the container in the freezer and freeze it overnight.
- You can label the date and the quantity of almond milk you put in each container.
How to Defrost Frozen Almond Milk
It is important that you thaw your frozen almond milk the right way. We got some best ways you can defrost your almond.
In the refrigerator
One of the mistakes people make is defrosting their almond milk at room temperature. It is advised to let your frozen almond milk thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
At room temperature, you are risking bacterial growth in your milk. The time of the thawing process depends on the amount of almond milk being defrosted.
On stove top
One of the ways to defrost your almond milk is to directly use it on the stove if you are cooking. It is not recommended because the texture of almond milk changes and the taste of almond milk.
The defrosted almond milk may have a sour taste and be inconsistent. Cook it over medium heat. The texture change gives you a thicker and creamier texture, making it better for many recipes. If your almond milk separates, give it a good stir.
In a cold water bath
As surprising as it may sound, yes put your frozen milk container or freezer bag in a cold water bath. This speeds up the process and avoids the increased risk of bacterial growth.
Do not use lukewarm water or hot water baths, as it increases bacterial growth.
If you have successfully defrosted almond milk, it is advised to use it within 3-5 days.
Uses of thawed almond milk
If you are worried about the texture and flavor of thawed almond milk, we’ve got you! Following are the uses of thawed almond milk.
- You can add thawed almond milk to the smoothie. The texture and flavor of almond milk fit just right for the ideal texture of the smoothie. The thick and creamy texture elevates the smoothie.
- Baking recipe. The frozen almond milk heats up while incorporating other ingredients. It imparts great flavors.
- Cooking recipes. The thawed almond milk is right for the creamy, vegan-friendly, and lactose-free sauce. Their texture and flavors are just divine.
Can You Refreeze Almond Milk?
No, you cannot refreeze almond milk. Once frozen almond milk is defrosted, the separation problem ruins the texture and taste of the almond milk. That is why it is better to freeze small batches of almond milk.
How to know if the almond milk has gone bad?
Besides the expiration date given on the milk box, there are some signs to look for. These include:
- Tastes sour (don’t try it!)
- thick, lumpy texture
- Bad odor. Possibly sour.
How to fix the separation problem of almond milk?
A good stir and blend could resolve the separation issue. If you have an almond separation problem, blend for a few seconds.
Can you freeze almond milk yogurt?
Yes, you can freeze almond milk yogurt. It is the same as freezing milk with the same separation problem. You can use the above-mentioned methods to freeze the almond milk yogurt.
Can you freeze homemade almond milk?
Yes, you can freeze your own almond milk. It differs slightly from store-bought almond milk. The added stabilizers make the store-bought milk slightly easier to freeze, but it is no different than homemade almond milk.
The above comprehensive guide summarises the following:
- Yes, you can freeze almond milk.
- Frozen almond milk can be stored for 3-6 months.
- It is better to store frozen almond milk in small portions because, once thawed, the almond milk cannot be frozen again.
- If your almond milk has a separation problem, give it a good stir or blend it for a few seconds.
We hope this comprehensive guide has answered all your questions related to freezing, thawing, and the uses of thawed almond milk.
Welcome to Julie’s kitchen site, where we like to share everything food-related. Starting from raw ingredients. How to pick, store, cook, freeze, and reheat them, moving to all the kitchen appliances that would be an indispensable necessity to you, that would make your life easier. Ending with the most flavorful, fancy, and amazing detailed food recipes that you can make at the comfort of your home, and easily impress all your guests with, all while enjoying cooking them.