This bolognese pasta bake is a hearty and comforting casserole made up of ground meat-rich tomato sauce, penne pasta topped with cheesy goodness! This recipe is essentially spaghetti bolognese baked.
However, a pasta bake with bolognese sauce can be made of any type of pasta, and pretty much any type of veggies. Depending on what you have available, you can switch it up by using penne or rigatoni pasta or adding in zucchini or eggplant.
This is the perfect recipe for those cold, winter evenings and can be easily made ahead and frozen for a later date.
Bolognese Pasta Bake Recipe
- 2 small onions*
- 1 large carrot*
- 4 medium mushrooms*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g mince beef (15% fat)*
- 150ml Cabernet Sauvignon* or other red wine
- 250ml passata*
- 400g chopped tinned tomatoes*
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar*
- Salt and black pepper
- 400g penne pasta*
- 50g mature cheddar cheese*
- 25g Parmesan cheese
- *From the SO Organic range
- Prepare your vegetables by peeling and dicing the onions. Dice the carrots and mushrooms and mince the garlic. Set separately aside.
- In a large lidded saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add in the onions, garlic, and carrots to soften.
- After 5 minutes or so, add in the mushrooms and ground beef, stir to combine, and to cook until browned through.
- Pour in the red wine and leave to bubble for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, mixed herbs, salt, and black pepper. Increase the heat and bring to a gentle simmer, add the lid on and cook for 45 minutes stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180C/400F and bring a large saucepan of water to boil. Use your hands to break the spaghetti in half lengthways then add it into the boiling water to cook for 8 minutes until al dente.
- Drain the pasta pour it into the Bolognese saucepan, stir to combine the pasta and the sauce.
- Transfer the pasta and sauce into an ovenproof casserole dish and sprinkle the grated cheese over the top. Place it in the oven and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until a crispy topping is formed. Leave to rest for 5 minutes before serving!