This Banoffee ice cream tart recipe is a buttery, crunchy biscuit base with a vanilla ice-cream filling layered with sliced banana, homemade toffee chunks, and drizzled with a warm caramel sauce.
If Banoffee pie and vanilla ice cream had a love child, this would be it.
To make banoffee ice cream tart, the recipe below is broken into step-by-step instructions to make it easy to create each layer. If you haven’t made homemade toffee or homemade caramel sauce before, this recipe is perfect for beginners.
To make the toffee, the key is to rapidly boil the sugar and water without stirring, to give a thick sauce which will quickly set into toffee. For caramel, it is really important to constantly stir the ingredients to give that smooth, rich texture.
Be sure to plan ahead, as this recipe requires an in the freezer to set but is totally worth the wait. This mouthwatering banoffee ice cream tart recipe is a perfect way to impress your guests this summer as it is the ultimate indulgent dessert!
Banoffee ice cream tart
- 138 grams 6 Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference All Butter Sweet Pastry Tartlets
- 1/2 Tub Sainsbury’s Vanilla Ice Cream 900ml
- 397 grams Carnation Caramel
- 2 Small bananas
- 300 ml Double cream
- 200 grams Sainsbury’s Fairtrade Dark Chocolate
- Line an oven tray with baking paper, ensure the paper goes up and over the sides of the tray and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and the water over medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, increase the heat to bring a boil and leave until the mixture turns caramel in color.
- Remove from the heat so the bubbles subside and stir in butter until it melts. Pour mixture onto your prepared tray and set aside to completely cool.
- Once fully cooled, break toffee into pieces. For the ice cream tart
- Grease a 22cm (9 inches) round loose-based fluted flan pan, set aside.
- Melt 100g of the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Process biscuits until fine then pour in the melted butter and process until combined.
- Press biscuit mixture into the base and side of your prepared pan, ensure it is compact, refrigerate for 15 minutes to set.
- Place the ice-cream in a large bowl and beat it with a wooden spoon until barely softened. Spread ice-cream on top of your biscuit base in the pan, using a spatula to create a smooth surface. Loosely cover and leave to freeze overnight
- Dice the remaining 75g butter and place in a medium saucepan with sugar. Over high heat, stir the mix until smooth. Pour in the condensed milk and golden syrup and bring it up to boil, stirring constantly. Allow the mix to boil for 10minutes, keep stirring to avoid the mix sticking. You will see it will thicken and turn caramel color
- Remove from the heat and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Whilst resting, slice the bananas thickly and arrange these in your cake tin on top of the ice cream. Layer on the toffee pieces. Carefully remove the cake from the tin.
- Now stir the milk into the warm caramel sauce and drizzle over the top of your cake and serve immediately.