There’s nothing like a homemade cheese scone, my new recipe for Cheese and Tomato Savoury Scones is one I would definitely recommend you try. Whilst not only being ridiculously easy to make, homemade scones always taste so much better than the ones you buy in the shops.
These Cheese and Tomato Savoury Scones are the ideal accompaniment to a bowl of warming soup, why not try them with my Tomato, Bean and Chorizo Soup or maybe my Harissa Spiced Sweet Potato and Pepper Soup. Just make sure you split your scones in half and serve with salted butter.
Here’s my recipe for Cheese and Tomato Savoury Scones.
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp English mustard powder
- a pinch of salt
- 50g unsalted butter (softened)
- 120g extra mature cheddar cheese (grated)
- 75g semi dried cherry tomatoes (chopped into 1cm pieces)
- 125ml milk (plus extra for brushing)
- Pre heat your oven to Fan 200ºc.
- Put the flour, baking powder, mustard powder and salt in a large bowl and stir together.
- Add the butter and rub together using your finger tips so it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in 100g of the grated cheese and chopped tomatoes.
- Make a well in the centre and add the milk gradually, cutting through the mixture with a blunt edge knife as you do, to form a dough.
- Tip the dough onto a floured surface and bring it together, then pat it down with your hands so that it is 2cm thick.
- Using a 6.5cm round cutter cut out 8 or 9 rounds.
- Place the scones on a non stick tray, brush with a little milk and top with the remaining 20g of grated cheese.
- Bake for 12 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the baking sheet and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy served with salted butter.
Pin me for later
Before I go, let’s have a quick chat about the Great British Bake Off. What did we all think? Well, I certainly enjoyed this series even though I missed Mary, Mel and Sue immensely. I think the bakers this year were most definitely a very talented and interesting bunch. This year two bakers in my view left too soon, Julia and Liam but that said they did unfortunately both have a bad last week. Many congratulations to the winner, Sophie, she had a cracking final and truly deserved to win on the day.
Until next time, happy baking.
Don’t miss a post, follow Julie’s Family Kitchen on: