My Apple & Cinnamon Loaf Cake was baked by pure chance. I was supposed to be trying out a recipe from a delightful new baking book that I’d been sent to review. However, things didn’t quite go according to plan.
I’d bought all my ingredients, had everything set out in the kitchen, so I thought! Only then did I realise just as I was about to start baking that I’d run out of baking parchment and oats, which I’d used for the last batch of granola I’d baked. So on a whim I decided to bake this super moist Apple & Cinnamon Loaf Cake (I had plenty of those handy loaf tin liners from Lakeland). I’m rather pleased with how it’s turned out. It also fits in perfectly with the fruit and vegetable theme for the BritMums Baking Round-up that I edit every month. If you’ve not seen my monthly baking round-up, take a look at it on BritMums.com.
- 2 apples (cored weight 200g)
- 225g self raising flour
- 175g coconut sugar
- 175g unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 50g sultanas
- Pre heat the oven to 160ºc Fan.
- Either line a 2lb loaf tin with a cake tin liner (my preference) or grease and line with baking parchment.
- Core the apples, leaving the skin on then chop into 1cm dice.
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into the lined tin and then bake for 1 hour, until fully baked.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
This is a proper rustic looking cake, it’s not fancy or loaded with icing but simple and understated. My husband insists that all cakes should be iced! I disagree. However, my Apple & Cinnamon Loaf Cake tastes heavenly just as it is and is the perfect antidote for a tough day, simply enjoyed with a good cuppa whilst putting your feet up. I can’t think of a better way to unwind. You’ll see I’ve used organic coconut sugar, which is an unrefined sugar. It is available in some shops such as Sainsbury’s and Holland & Barrett, but if you can’t find it then golden caster sugar should be a good alternative.
I mentioned earlier about a book review that will be featuring on the blog soon and I’m thrilled as always to be hosting a giveaway alongside. Watch this space for your chance to win a brand new baking cookbook.
Pin me for later
Until next time, happy baking.