Yes you guessed it, another pancetta recipe. I’m sorry I just can’t help myself. It’s one of those ingredients I can’t live without. In fact pasta and pancetta are a marriage made in heaven and that’s probably why I cook them together so frequently.
That aside, I’ve made this meal for me and my children many times with and without the pancetta. Believe it or not they love it even though it contains spinach and mushrooms. This time I’ve made it just for me and my husband so I added 1/4 teaspoon of chilli flakes to spice it up.
Ingredients (Serves 2 adults or 4 children)
200g whole wheat spaghetti
100g cubetti di pancetta
125g mushrooms (peeled and quarter sliced)
60g frozen spinach
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
Parmesan cheese (grated)
1. Sauté the pancetta in a lidded casserole pan until it starts to crisp.
2. Add the mushrooms and the oregano, then stir everything together. Cook until the mushrooms begin to soften and reduce.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, spinach, chilli flakes and a good grinding of black pepper. Give everything a good stir and then bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat and partially cover with the lid. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every so often to break down the spinach.
5. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a large pan of salted boiling water until al dente. Reserve a small cup of the water, then drain the spaghetti.
6. Add the spaghetti to the cooked sauce, with a little of the cooking water. Stir on the heat for 30 seconds so everything is beautifully combined.
7. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese if you like, which I do.
I hope you enjoy it.
Until next time.
This recipe uses a super cheap ingredient frozen spinach and a little of it really does go a long way. So I’m entering this into the Credit Crunch Munch this month hosted by Angela at My Golden Pear on behalf of Camilla at Fab Food 4 All and Helen at Fuss Free Flavours.
In addition, I’m entering this recipe into the #pastaplease recipe challenge organised by Jac from Tinned Tomatoes, which is hosted this month by Katie at Feeding Boys and a Firefighter. The challenge this month is to use spaghetti in a recipe.