Well, I did say there would be more pesto recipes to come so here’s the next one. Remembering that I had a pack of ready rolled puff pastry in the freezer I decided to create these savoury puffs using tomato pesto and Pecorino Romano cheese. My children demolished them when I served them with their favourite tomato soup, in fact the first comment I got was “I love these”.
Cheesy and full of tomato flavour these tasty morsels are great as a snack, canapé or served with soup.
Ingredients (makes 16)
375g ready rolled puff pastry
5 tablespoon tomato pesto
50g Pecorino Romano cheese (finely grated)
1. Pre heat your oven to Fan 180c.
2. Unroll the pastry and leave it on the greaseproof paper for now.
3. Spread the pesto over the pastry, then top with the grated cheese. Remember to keep about a tablespoon of cheese aside for later.
4. Using the longest edge, tightly roll up the pastry like a swiss roll.
5. Then using a sharp knife cut into 16 equal size slices.
6. Using 2 non stick baking sheets place the sliced pastry rolls cut side up on the baking sheets and flatten with your hand slightly. Then, sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
7. Bake for 10 minutes until golden and puffy.
I hope you enjoy them.
Until next time.